Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Would you hire someone to prep all your food?

The personal chef thread got me thinking. Do you think there is a market for this? Basically you would decide what to cook and buy the groceries but someone would prep everything for you (chop veggies, prep/marinate meats, measure and blend spices). I know it was a cinch to make soup today because I prepped everything yesterday.
    Thoughts?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i don't know but that idea sounds awesome to me, i'd love to have someone else do that! seriously the part i hate most about cooking is having to chop onions or other veggies and having to prep meats. it's tedious, it takes me forever and it tires me out. I think i would cook at home a lot more if i have help with the prep work.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would not because:

Cooking is a hobby for me.
    My husband and I simply don't have that kind of money, especially if we want to keep the cleaning service, save/invest and be able to buy organic food.
    We prep a lot on the weekends ahead already.

That said, I think there is a total market for this. I know a couple of people who work as personal chefs, sometimes just really going the meal planning and prep part, and I don't live in Hollywood or NYC. Their typical clients are not wealthy, but pretty affluent, with reasons why they can't cook ranging from "I hate to cook" to "I work 100 hours a week and don't have time" to "We have a lot of kids AND I hate to cook".
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We use a service somewhat similar to what you are saying but you choose from a menu of maybe 20 items. Check out www.dinnerafare.com.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes. Can you move here?

I LOATHE & DESPISE COOKING & GROCERY SHOPPING. Seriously. hate hate hate 'em. A lot of my coworkers do to. I definitely think there is a market.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You mean, just prepping and then I do the final cooking? Mmmhhh, to be honest I don't know. But then I don't mind the prepping as much as cleaning up the kitchen afterwards, I may prefer that .

I guess if it was much cheaper than having a "personal chef" do the whole deal: prep and cook, I'd consider it. You may get more clients if you also do the grocery shopping for them (paid by the client, of course) and maybe help plan the menu.

For full disclosure, I only cook on weekends, I have someone help me during the week (but I live abroad where it's very affordable). When living in the US I do everything myself, and what I hate most is planning the menu, shopping and cleaning up.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    You mean, just prepping and then I do the final cooking? Mmmhhh, to be honest I don't know. But then I don't mind the prepping as much as cleaning up the kitchen afterwards, I may prefer that .
    Same here. If I were going to hire anyone at all, it'd be for the whole she-bang, not just prep. Prep doesn't bother me that much.

I also don't think you'd be able to charge much less than a personal chef, and still make it profitable...people would compare how much you charge, with a personal chef, and unless it was a lot less, would opt for the personal chef or nothing. (JMHO).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No. My problem is having the energy to cook at all, not just prep. Because if I have the energy to actually cook the dish, then prep is not that much extra work IMO. This is why I didn't like Let's Dish when I tried it. I still had to actually cook the meal (or have the foresight to thaw it) even though all the prep was done.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We have an independent food assembly place here and it is very popular. I tried some oif the chains and found the meals kind of gross. The independent place uses local meat, fresh vegetables and herbs (when possible) from the owner's garden.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaTC View Post
    We have an independent food assembly place here and it is very popular. I tried some oif the chains and found the meals kind of gross. The independent place uses local meat, fresh vegetables and herbs (when possible) from the owner's garden.
    That sounds cool. I did Let's Dish once, it was not that tasty...and when I was realized how crappy the ingredients were I felt guilty for serving it (at least it was before DDs were on solids, and DH didn't care, although he didn't like the taste).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast