Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help! Feels like I am swallowing broken glass

And this is day 2. Went to the dr and came back with no prescription. Basically a sore throat brought on by a cold (no strep) and aggravated by throwing up. I have tried a throat spray, ibuprofen, cough drops but nothing seems to help. Also tried gargling with warm water and salt. The only thing that soothes is warm soup of thicker consistency but I can't drink soup the whole day. Please help with any suggestions that you have.

TIA

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

gargle warm salt water. I will drink bouillon with a throat that raw too. You poor thing! Oh, and hot water with lemon.

ETA: when I had what you described I had mono. It was awful. I had pus in my throat from the infection--it made swallowing impossible.
    Last edited by larig; 01-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Tea with milk and honey.

I had a negative strep test, but had a throat infection. Could your throat be infected by something else? I had fever and flu symptoms along with a very sore throat.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Did they do a rapid strep test or did they send it to the lab? We have had several rapid strep test be WRONG only to have them call 2 days later to say... opps you do have strep.

1/2 benedryl 1/2 malox and gargle.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It could be that you scratched your throat as well. I did that once and the feeling was awful!! Nothing helped it but time. Hope yours gets better soon!

They did a rapid test for strep yesterday and they'll call me tommorrow if it comes out positive. No fever so the dr seems to think its just a cold. The night before last I threw up after dinner (I already had a sore throat) and thats when it got worse. I am thinking that it might have irritated my already swollen throat. Please keep suggestions coming - I can't go to the drug store now or I would have tried the benadryl + malox gargle.

Last month I had some sort of virus that felt like sores in my throat....when the PA saw me, he said it was like a coxsackie and by that time it looked like they were starting to heal. I think the chloraseptic throat spray was one of the few things that helped me. Gargling with warm water and baking soda also was helpful. Tea (which usually feels good with a typical cold) did not make things better.

Hope this resolves soon!!!!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

I have just gotten over a sore throat like this. Only thing that helped was to drink scalding hot tea all the time. it felt SO good going down but the relief was so fleeting. I was peeing constantly and moaning how if I could just get it hot enough maybe I could singe the nerve endings for good... LOL

Hope you're feeling better soon. I feel like there's some extra nasty sore throats going around this cold season...

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    I feel like there's some extra nasty sore throats going around this cold season...

It took me more than a week to get over the virus I had. The doctor thought I had strep from the sores in my mouth but didn't bother to test because I was going to be on antibiotics for a sinus infection anyway. I don't think it was strep at all. It had to have been some horrific throat virus.

It's been going around here, not just in my house!
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast