Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default DS only sleeps when held

I am seriously about to lose it. If it wasn't for the fact that DH has been home a lot the past few days I would be having a melt down. DS screams every time he is sleepy and I mean every time for at least 20 minutes. Last night it took me almost 2 hrs to get him to sleep and the only reason he stayed asleep is because I was so exhausted and just put him in bed with me. This morning he woke up at 515, by 630 he was tired. I got him to sleep fairly easily but as soon as I laid him down he woke up. I had to get DD up for school so I just had to let him cry. He screamed for 30 minutes before DH got home from PT and put him to sleep again. Same thing, as soon as DH laid him down he woke up. DH is much better at getting him to sleep than I am. He won't take a pacifier, tries to suck his fist but still isn't really coordinated enough to get thumb in his mouth.
    Even when he is awake and not sleepy he wants to be carried. We have a bouncy chair, swing, exersaucer, he won't sit in any of them. He screams the second you put him down.

Please tell me this doesn't last forever! DH is going to be gone next week for training and I am dreading it. I don't know how I can do this 24/7 for a week! We just moved and have no family or friends nearby. I really need some advice about how to get through this, or even better how do I get him to stay asleep!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

I'm so sorry. It is hard. My DD1 was like that. She did not like any swing or bouncer either. Even the car didn't work. If we used a pacifier, it took her 2 hrs minimum to sleep and we had to hold it in her mouth because she couldn't yet. And she was so sensitive to every sound. For everyone's sanity, we had to cosleep. Even during the day, I had to lay in bed with her. Otherwise her naps would be nonexistent. Well she is nearly 3 now and she still sleeps with us at night, but she can put herself down for nap and go back to sleep at nap and at night should she wake up prematurely.

I understand you have an older DC you need to take care of also and my only suggestion is to wear your younger one so he can feel your body heat while you go about.

ETA: have you tried different pacifiers? Both my daughters only like the blue soothies.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Wear the baby around the house. It'll keep your hands free and maybe he'll sleep.

It'll pass, too. Not soon enough for you, I'm sure.
    Kris

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My daughter was this same way and since she was my first
    child, I indulged her. BIG mistake! The chick would only sleep
    if my husband or I held her. Finally, around 8-9 months, I just
    couldn't do it anymore. She had to sleep in her crib. It was
    a long hard road to get her to adjust to the crib. But she did!

I don't have any advice for you since I did it all wrong!! But I totally
    sympathize with you!!

Good Luck!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

I had this will all three of mine. My children needed a swing. They physically needed the sensory feel of motion. If they were not in the swing they would fall asleep in our arms. Some children just have more sensory needs than others. My DS3 was my best sleeper. I didn't have to do this too much but did in the beginning. I was shocked that he knew what a crib was for as my first two DS's slept in a swing for the first 6 months.

I would get them to fall asleep in the swing. Once they were asleep I would take a heating pad and place it in their crib. Once the mattress was warmed I would get them out of the swing and bring them into their room. I would remove the heating pad and then place the baby onto the warmed mattress. I found that they did not wake up and would continue to sleep. We always removed the heating pad and only had to re-heat on a couple occasions (baby woke for bottle and it took too long or they woke up more than usual so we had to restart the process again). It didn't take long to warm up the mattress and once you took out the heating pad there was no issue of the child being burned or anything.

I would assume that a sling would do the same thing if you were to wear her until she fell asleep and then placed on a warm mattress.

DS would sleep in the pnp bassinet at night, but we had to swaddle him and have the vibration turned on AND the sleep sheep turned on. When either one stopped (they're both on timers) then he'd wake up, and we had to turn them back on. He would only sleep during the day if he was held.

As long as you're sure that he isn't getting too hot or cold, I'd recommend movement (vibration or swing), white noise, warmth, and swaddling.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Punkin was a terrible daytime sleeper, even from infancy. And he was a very light sleeper to boot. I would recommend swaddling (maybe he wants the warm cozy feeling) especially if you can make the swaddle blanket smell like you (I used to rub the blanket across and between my breasts a few times before wrapping him - weird, I know, but it helps!!) and like PP said, use a sling or carrier around the house so you have hands free. Both my boys slept very nicely in slings while I ate dinner, with only a few spills of rice on their heads!!

And most importantly, remember it's just a phase. This too shall pass. You will both survive. It won't last. Hugs to you, I know how awful it feels when you're desperate to get a child to sleep!!!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS1 literally needed to be held 24x7 for the first 7 weeks. DH would basically come home from work, we would eat dinner and he would go to bed for his shift. Around 7 weeks I figured if I swaddled his arms he would sleep in the swing. He slept that way for 8 months until we moved him into the crib. Looking back, I wonder if he had silent reflux.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some babies are like that. DD only slept when held for months. It was a huge change when she would let me lay her down next to me. I couldn't get up, but at least I could set her down.

I would try to find a carrier. It will save your sanity. The Ergo with an infant insert may be a good choice if you have an older one to care for as well because it is truly hands free.

We also started cosleeping on the advice of our pediatrician. The real clincher was the day I fell asleep holding her in a chair. That wasn't safe. Planned safe sleeping was better for everyone.

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS actually took 2 really good naps today. It was so great! Maybe he realized that mom needed a break after yesterday and last night!

I swaddled him when he was smaller but he really hates it now. He is a very hot baby and he started to really sweat when swaddled. I used A&A so they were very light blankets. And he hates the swing, I know some people complain their babies will only sleep in the swing, I WISH DS liked the swing. He will sit in it for about 1 minute before he starts screaming.

I do need to get a carrier though. I have a bjorn and DS loves it but it kills my back because he is so heavy. Do I need the infant insert? DS is probably 17-18lbs and he can control his head well.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast