niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Where do you store toilet paper in the bathroom

After the 3rd time this week realizing there is no toilet paper left on the roll (why can't DH and DS change the roll??), I realise we need to have the extra toilet paper BESIDE the toilet and not in the cabinet above, or in the cabinet under the sink - you have to stand up to reach either cabinet.

Problem is that we don't have much room beside the toilet. I have 6" from the tank to the wall eitherside, then up to 10" between the toilet and the wall.

I can fit one of the cylinder holders, but they seem to only hold 3 rolls - we go through way too much thanks to DS...and I don't want to be stocking up on toilet paper from the laundry room all the time. I'd like to have about 4-6 rolls handy.

I was thinking of a basket - but I don't like the idea of open top. Between the boy who might miss , the dog hair dust bunnies and cleaning the toilet - I don't think an open basket will work.

Maybe I need to do a cylinder with 3 rolls and then keep another few in the cabinet???

eta. I might get something like this http://www.amazon.com/Interdesign-92...290120&sr=1-32 it's clear so people can see it's got toilet paper, it's plastic as I don't want anything breakable with DS, and it's easy to clean. I find an idea of using a glass jar...but not yet with DS. If I can rearrange the overhead cabinet, I might be able to clear off an entire shelf to hold an entire pack of toilet paper - I wouldn't mind having lots of rolls accessible
    Last edited by niccig; 01-06-2011 at 01:06 AM.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I use paper towel holders. They only hold 3 rolls, but I go through and fill them once a week, so it works for me.

Like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13320918 I found them cheaper than the toilet paper holders.

DD changes it often. DH and DS1 never do.
    Kris

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

do you have trouble with the toilet paper getting wet? Granted DS hasn't missed in a while, but we've had a couple of incidents when he somehow fell as he was standing at the toilet, but he kept peeing, or once he started peeing when the toilet lid was down, and he called out to me for help, but kept peeing. I don't think he knows how to stop once he starts.

It was a while back that this happened.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    we've had a couple of incidents when he somehow fell as he was standing at the toilet, but he kept peeing, or once he started peeing when the toilet lid was down, and he called out to me for help, but kept peeing. I don't think he knows how to stop once he starts.
    Is this what I have to look forward to x 2?

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use a lidded basket - I think it came from Pottery Barn. It will hold two rolls, but I only keep one in there along with my stash of tampons. My DH is obsessive compulsive (really) so a roll is always on. He even replaces the roll early and sets the almost empty roll on top of the new one on the holder. I'm also never low on gas or milk or coffee or anything
    mommy to DD 1/07

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

No, they haven't gotten wet. There isn't a lot of room, so they're pretty close to the toilet too.
    Kris

I like the idea of a paper towel holder... could be put on the top of the toilet... I wonder about this, too. In one bathroom you can reach the drawer where we store extra from the toilet, but I worry we will have guest run out and have to yell - and then I think is it weird to put a note on the drawer? Downstairs though it is on a window sill above the toilet, visible but kind of akward. I have shied away from a holder for extra because I worry my girls would play with it but maybe once the novelty wore off they'd be OK.

As for boys and aiming... my son is 7... so far is hasn't gotten any better. The accidents drive me nuts but I can handle. But one day he and my nephew decided to pee down my laundry chute... seriously, I don't know why we teach them to pee standing up...

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have drawers in our vanity and the bottom one holds 4-5 rolls of TP.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We keep it in the closet in the bathroom but like a previous poster said, my DH is also obsessive about not letting it run out. It's almost a criminal offense in our house to use the last of the TP and not at least set a new roll out.

With that being said we only have a baby so we haven't had kids in the TP mix yet.