Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Kids books that are bizarre or that you can't stand

I cannot stand Love You Forever. It is so weird! It was a hand me down from someone and it is just so bizarre. I hide it but it somehow keeps finding itself back in rotation.
    It talks about how the little boy flushes his mom's watch down the toilet (thanks for planting that idea in my kid's head!) and the creepy mom crawls across the floor and rocks her son in the middle of the night, even when he is a teenager and then as an adult man!
    It shows her driving over to his house with a ladder on top of her car so she can sneak in through the window.
    It is totally disturbing.

My aunt also got my kids this children's book written by some kind of new age preacher person and it talks all about spirits all around us and is just creepy too.
    DD
    DS

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't like Love You Forever, either.
    I know everyone loves The Rainbow Fish, but that's another one I can't stand.
    (ducking) I'm also not a Winnie the Pooh fan. I find the books so long and the stories really tedious and I just can't wait for them to be over.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that Love You Forever is kind of weird but my kids think it is funny. I stuff our copy in the bottom of the overflow box but they dig it out.

I don't mind reading Jamberry but DH and I are convinced that it was written by someone under the influence of psychotropic drugs.
    Jennifer
    Mommy to a big girl and a little girl with a sweet boy in the middle (and always missing our sweet baby boy #2, stillborn 7/12)

"The work of today is the history of tomorrow and we are its makers." Juliette Gordon Low

"The Giving Tree", because it's also creepy and I think sends a bad message (keep giving even if the person you're giving to is a complete and total user. Nice. Enable much?)

We also have a book called "Uh, Oh" in which the little boy gets into trouble throughout the day, mostly by accident. Except for coloring on the walls. Somehow that page in the book got ripped out.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Walter the Farting Dog

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman

(If you don't know what it is, it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Mother...4442295&sr=1-1)

I have found it disturbing and anxiety-inducing for my entire life.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    "The Giving Tree", because it's also creepy and I think sends a bad message (keep giving even if the person you're giving to is a complete and total user. Nice. Enable much?)

We also have a book called "Uh, Oh" in which the little boy gets into trouble throughout the day, mostly by accident. Except for coloring on the walls. Somehow that page in the book got ripped out.
    I will never look at The Giving Tree the same way again!
    Green Tea, mom to three

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like Giving Tree for the language and illustrations, but agree that the message sucks. It has led to some interesting discussions with the kids, tho.

I don't really care for Are You My Mother, but Colwyn thought the Snort was hysterical. He always wants to read it (and thankfully, he reads it on his own now).

Maurice Sendak's Outside Over There is just weird. I'm a fan of his work normally, but that one is a little much even for me. It reminds me a little of the movie Labyrinth, tho.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post

Have you seen the picture of the author on the back of The Giving Tree? He disturbs me.

author.jpg

And I guess if you don't like the message of the book, then this won't do it for you...

tattopo.jpg

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Total agree on The Giving Tree! Always hated it. Is that supposed to be a healthy message? I do love Shel's other stuff, though. Despite his serial-killer looks.

And since I work with kids suffering from attachment disorders ... I find "Are you my Mother" particularly disturbing.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast