Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First trip to Ikea what should I know? Expedit ?

I'm planning my first trip to IKEA. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Expedit 4X4 bookcase. Should I call in advance to see if they have it? Also does anyone know how big the boxes are that this comes in? I was supposed to go with a friend who has an SUV but she had to postpone so I'm thinking of going on my own as I really want to start getting organized. I could potentially switch cars with DH who has an SUV if necessary. Any other tips for my first trip to IKEA? I'm planning on going during a weekday morning.

Thanks!

you can check on the ikea site to see how many they have in stock at your local store. Just go to the item and click store availability and put in your store zip. Usually the expedits are really well stocked because i think it's probably one of the more popular items. I have three of the 2x4 expedits and LOVE them. I would say you might want to have an SUV for the 4x4. I think that one comes in 2 boxes, but the boxes are pretty long if i remember correctly.

I believe their website can give you stock info for your store as well as the package dimensions and weight. That's how I figured out which car to bring. You may want to call to double check. HTH

ETA the expedit boxes are HEAVY.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can look online and check inventory before you go. Also, the website should have dimensions. If not, then I will say that the expedit is typically no longer than the longest side put together...um, so if you are getting a 4x4 and it's 4 feet long (just for example) then the box is going to be that long too -- not really any longer. We have the 5x5 and it fit in the back of DH's Lexus 400h (not that big of an SUV).

Eat lunch there. Yummy food! Also, buy some food to take home from their shop. I especially love the juices and the sparkling juices. Don't forget the kids' area...lots of cute wooden toys for great prices.

Take your time and have fun. Ikea can be overwhelming sometimes!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

#1 - Prepare to be overwhelmed. The place is huge & they have EVERYTHING for your house. After my first visit, I left feeling the urge to re-decorate my entire home.

#2 - You can check online to see if they have the Expedit you want in stock at your store. I don't remember if it mentions the dimensions of the boxes or not, but I've picked up some of those larger pieces before and they are big. Chances are you'll want the SUV.

#3 - Many pieces (including the furniture) are shown throughout the store/showroom, but have to be picked up at the end of your trek through the store, just before you get to the registers. When you see the piece you want in the store, you write down the aisle & location of the boxes and then pick them up yourself when you get to the self-help area.

#4 - Be prepared to do some heavy lifting on your own, or beg some passer-by for help loading your car. At my Ikea you're on your own, I'm assuming it's that way everywhere.

#5 - Enjoy yourself! It really is fun!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    #3 - Many pieces (including the furniture) are shown throughout the store/showroom, but have to be picked up at the end of your trek through the store, just before you get to the registers. When you see the piece you want in the store, you write down the aisle & location of the boxes and then pick them up yourself when you get to the self-help area.

I found that to be the most confusing part. The last part of the store is basically a warehouse where you find the items all boxed up.

Are they charging for bags there? I know it's a typical Swedish thing to charge for bags so everyone takes their own. Since IKEA is totally Swedish, I thought maybe they did the same, but I don't remember since I haven't been in a while.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    Are they charging for bags there? I know it's a typical Swedish thing to charge for bags so everyone takes their own. Since IKEA is totally Swedish, I thought maybe they did the same, but I don't remember since I haven't been in a while.
    Yes, they charge for bags now. And remember (from the other post!) that the Expedit comes in two boxes and don't come home with just one!

I have a friend that just went and was VERY overwhelmed. It is very confusing the first time you go. I'm pretty used to it now but it is a HUGE store and there is a lot and it can be very confusing.
    Debbie

Be prepared...for the time suck. I swear you can walk into that place and think 30 minutes have gone by and its been 3 hours! Have fun, bring the SUV!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Have fun! As someone else said, it's good you're going on a weekday morning. It's at least a little less crazy.

The expedit is great. We have two of the 2x4s placed together so it looks like one unit (they were on sale a year or two ago). I love the look with some baskets alternated with books. It has definitely helped us keep our things contained. We also have two of the compartments filled with the two-tiered drawers for the little bitty stuff.

Take your time, don't rush, and enjoy the experience! (Try not to get sucked into buying stuff that looks great in the store but that you don't really need or won't work in your home, though...speaking from been there, done that.) Good luck!
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

The bags are 59 cents. I've seen some super creative blogs about re-purposing them in super cute ways. On my to-do list....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast