Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First trip to Ikea what should I know? Expedit ?

I'm planning my first trip to IKEA. I'm pretty sure I want to get the Expedit 4X4 bookcase. Should I call in advance to see if they have it? Also does anyone know how big the boxes are that this comes in? I was supposed to go with a friend who has an SUV but she had to postpone so I'm thinking of going on my own as I really want to start getting organized. I could potentially switch cars with DH who has an SUV if necessary. Any other tips for my first trip to IKEA? I'm planning on going during a weekday morning.

Thanks!

you can check on the ikea site to see how many they have in stock at your local store. Just go to the item and click store availability and put in your store zip. Usually the expedits are really well stocked because i think it's probably one of the more popular items. I have three of the 2x4 expedits and LOVE them. I would say you might want to have an SUV for the 4x4. I think that one comes in 2 boxes, but the boxes are pretty long if i remember correctly.

I believe their website can give you stock info for your store as well as the package dimensions and weight. That's how I figured out which car to bring. You may want to call to double check. HTH

ETA the expedit boxes are HEAVY.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can look online and check inventory before you go. Also, the website should have dimensions. If not, then I will say that the expedit is typically no longer than the longest side put together...um, so if you are getting a 4x4 and it's 4 feet long (just for example) then the box is going to be that long too -- not really any longer. We have the 5x5 and it fit in the back of DH's Lexus 400h (not that big of an SUV).

Eat lunch there. Yummy food! Also, buy some food to take home from their shop. I especially love the juices and the sparkling juices. Don't forget the kids' area...lots of cute wooden toys for great prices.

Take your time and have fun. Ikea can be overwhelming sometimes!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

#1 - Prepare to be overwhelmed. The place is huge & they have EVERYTHING for your house. After my first visit, I left feeling the urge to re-decorate my entire home.

#2 - You can check online to see if they have the Expedit you want in stock at your store. I don't remember if it mentions the dimensions of the boxes or not, but I've picked up some of those larger pieces before and they are big. Chances are you'll want the SUV.

#3 - Many pieces (including the furniture) are shown throughout the store/showroom, but have to be picked up at the end of your trek through the store, just before you get to the registers. When you see the piece you want in the store, you write down the aisle & location of the boxes and then pick them up yourself when you get to the self-help area.

#4 - Be prepared to do some heavy lifting on your own, or beg some passer-by for help loading your car. At my Ikea you're on your own, I'm assuming it's that way everywhere.

#5 - Enjoy yourself! It really is fun!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    #3 - Many pieces (including the furniture) are shown throughout the store/showroom, but have to be picked up at the end of your trek through the store, just before you get to the registers. When you see the piece you want in the store, you write down the aisle & location of the boxes and then pick them up yourself when you get to the self-help area.

I found that to be the most confusing part. The last part of the store is basically a warehouse where you find the items all boxed up.

Are they charging for bags there? I know it's a typical Swedish thing to charge for bags so everyone takes their own. Since IKEA is totally Swedish, I thought maybe they did the same, but I don't remember since I haven't been in a while.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    #1 - Prepare to be overwhelmed. The place is huge & they have EVERYTHING for your house. After my first visit, I left feeling the urge to re-decorate my entire home.

#2 - You can check online to see if they have the Expedit you want in stock at your store. I don't remember if it mentions the dimensions of the boxes or not, but I've picked up some of those larger pieces before and they are big. Chances are you'll want the SUV.

#4 - Be prepared to do some heavy lifting on your own, or beg some passer-by for help loading your car. At my Ikea you're on your own, I'm assuming it's that way everywhere.

#5 - Enjoy yourself! It really is fun!
    Good points! I was so over-whelmed after my first visit but each visit is less so. I still want to re-do my entire house though every trip.

My Ikea has a guy outside to help you load the items into your vehicle. I think you can also ask for help inside but I've not needed to yet.

Trade cars and bring the SUV, you might find many other things you want while you are there!

Yes, plan on eating there. Food is good and inexpensive.

Have fun!

IKEA Houston (the only one I've been to) has people to help you get things in the vehicle.

Definitely bring the SUV. You will almost certainly find more things that you want to buy.

Eat there! The meatballs are awesome.

If you can get your hands on a catalog or spend some time on the website, do so to get a good idea of what you want to be sure and see. Like others said, it can be really overwhelming.

Have fun! My house is like 80% IKEA, and speaking of, I really need to plan another trip.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

Definitely bring the SUV. We didn't plan ahead two weeks ago, and took the Jetta. DH took one look at the Expedit boxes and said "no way". So back he went this week! (luckily, Ikea is only 20 minutes away.) We got the 4x4 Expedits.

Check out the website to see if there are any baskets you want to go with the Expedit. We got the Nasum baskets for toy storage in our living room area (four for the bottom shelves only, they look really good!) and Drona for the play room (eight because we need all the storage we can get down there!)

Like PP said, Ikea is set up differently from most stores. There's the showroom, where the stuff is all on display set up like rooms that you drool over. Write down what you want, and where it's located in the warehouse (it's on the tag, they have pencil and lists there).

Then on another floor there's the "Marketplace" which has the knicknacks, textiles, kitchenware, bathroom gear, home decor, you get the picture. THEN there's the "warehouse" where you get the furniture. You have to maneuver the boxes yourself. There are employees to help, but you have to really hunt for them. A lot of the boxes are big and bulky, the Expedit ones included.

You do have to bring your own bags, or you can buy one of their blue Ikea bags for couple of bucks.

At our Ikea, they'll help you load stuff into your car. They even have string and stuff to tie down your trunk. But again, the trick is finding someone!

I like the salmon salad in the cafe.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    Are they charging for bags there? I know it's a typical Swedish thing to charge for bags so everyone takes their own. Since IKEA is totally Swedish, I thought maybe they did the same, but I don't remember since I haven't been in a while.
    Yes, they charge for bags now. And remember (from the other post!) that the Expedit comes in two boxes and don't come home with just one!

I have a friend that just went and was VERY overwhelmed. It is very confusing the first time you go. I'm pretty used to it now but it is a HUGE store and there is a lot and it can be very confusing.
    Debbie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast