Thread: Pink eye?

Default Pink eye?

Ok so DS's eye is red (like the blood vessels are more prominent) and he has some discharge out of both eyes...but no pink on the rim or eyelid and no puffiness. Could this be pink eye or is it something else?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Go to the dr. just to be safe. It could be pink eye or just an allergy. DD2 had this a few weeks ago and less than a week of eye drops 3xday cured it.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

We've had pinkeye a number of times at our house and I found a home remedy that works for us. We use multi purpose contact lens solution. (boric acid in the ingredient list) usually drops a few times a day will take care of the pink eye within a few days.

or

if you are nursing, you can try squirting breast milk into his eye to see if it clears up.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I thought that any inflamation of the eye with goo is considered pink eye, and that the issue of treating it is whether it's bacterial (in which case it can be treated) or viral (in which case you just have to wait it out).

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    I thought that any inflamation of the eye with goo is considered pink eye, and that the issue of treating it is whether it's bacterial (in which case it can be treated) or viral (in which case you just have to wait it out).
    me too. Dolly, Lula and I have all had the viral kind last fall. It is icky. IIWY I'd get it checked just in case.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

There are three types of pink eye/conjunctivitis: bacterial, viral, and an allergy based version. Nothing can be done for the viral pinkeye except waiting it out.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton