Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Be prepared...for the time suck. I swear you can walk into that place and think 30 minutes have gone by and its been 3 hours! Have fun, bring the SUV!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    At our Ikea, they'll help you load stuff into your car. They even have string and stuff to tie down your trunk.
    I've never seen anyone that helps with loading at our Ikea So it looks like it varies by store.

twindad is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

At the PHX area IKEA they have helpers to load things into your car, as well as helpers in the warehouse area to help load heavy boxes onto carts. HTH

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post
    I've never seen anyone that helps with loading at our Ikea So it looks like it varies by store.
    same here. I've NEVER had IKEA employees help us load stuff in the car and that at the three IKEAs i've frequented (Los Angeles, Dallas, and Austin area stores). And we've purchased some hefty stuff at all of those places too. I've never seen an employee helping someone load stuff either. After getting stuff, it's always thank you, here's your receipt, bye bye. It really must vary by store.

I agree with OP, definitely bring an SUV or van, it will make things sooo much easier. Before we got our van, we had to spend half an hour figuring out how to get the boxes for a 4x4 expedit in our Camry and loading them in (we managed to do it, but required removal/reinstallation of a carseat and opening the boxes up..not fun).

And i think it's a good idea you are going to go to IKEA on a weekday morning. the weekends are insane!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Pinky is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sidmand View Post
    Yes, they charge for bags now. And remember (from the other post!) that the Expedit comes in two boxes and don't come home with just one!
    Yep, that was my DH! LOL Definitely make sure you get all your boxes and that they are all the same color. Someone else posted that they made it home with multiple colors accidentally.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I always drag DH with me. That stuff is too heavy for me to lift. The 4x4 is awesome BTW. I adore it. Get some bins for the bottom row too while you are at it. I also ended up going back for a 2x4 one for the other wall in the playroom.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmm every time we've gone (really only on weekends) there's always someone wearing the IKEA uniform hanging around the loading area helping people load boxes. We had one of them help us load our cribs when we bought them, even though DH could've done it himself (maybe it was just because I was obviously pregnant?) But I always see someone there helping.

LOVE our Expedit 4x4!!! One word of caution - if you get the seagrass baskets (or any scratchy basket) to go with it, it WILL scratch the finish as you slide them in and out - so I'd suggest gluing felt on the bottom if you like the look of the wicker/rattan/seagrass baskets.

Have fun! As someone else said, it's good you're going on a weekday morning. It's at least a little less crazy.

The expedit is great. We have two of the 2x4s placed together so it looks like one unit (they were on sale a year or two ago). I love the look with some baskets alternated with books. It has definitely helped us keep our things contained. We also have two of the compartments filled with the two-tiered drawers for the little bitty stuff.

Take your time, don't rush, and enjoy the experience! (Try not to get sucked into buying stuff that looks great in the store but that you don't really need or won't work in your home, though...speaking from been there, done that.) Good luck!
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

oh i should mention, as for storage bins for Expedit, we use these colorful Kusiner storage boxes for our playroom (haven't seen mentioned here). they are in the children's section. we like them bc they're light and are translucent in the front part so you can see what's in them. also they're foldable. i dont' think they're designed for the Expedit but they fit pretty well in ours.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Hmm every time we've gone (really only on weekends) there's always someone wearing the IKEA uniform hanging around the loading area helping people load boxes. We had one of them help us load our cribs when we bought them, even though DH could've done it himself (maybe it was just because I was obviously pregnant?) But I always see someone there helping.
    hm, maybe this could be the difference. i've been to our IKEA about 900 times (approximately, judging from how many Expedits, Billys, and Malms are in our house ) and not once have we ever had an employee help us load stuff in our car. though we almost never go on weekends bc it's too hectic, and you have to wait so incredibly long for a space in front loading area. we always go on weekday evenings (sometimes just before closing), so it's much less busy and there are empty spaces in front loading area. i guess during the low-traffic periods they don't have employees helping out bc it's not as crucial to move everyone through.

Quote Originally Posted by MommytoEliana View Post
    (Try not to get sucked into buying stuff that looks great in the store but that you don't really need or won't work in your home, though...speaking from been there, done that.) Good luck!
    haha, i know exactly what you mean! easier said than done, i agree. especially at first, it's hard to see all this stuff on display and not say "hey, i could use that!"
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Go there for breakfast!! They have delicious breakfast for only 99 cents!!And unlimited coffee for a half hour before the stores open

Totally worth it (I'm a morning person as you can tell )

Rest everything the PPs have covered! Have fun!!!!!

Oh and get a piece of chocolate cake to go!! YUM

----------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast