Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Baby Brezza vs. Beaba

As a first time mom I'm planning on making my own baby food and from what I've been hearing Beaba is a great tool to own. Recently I came across a similar product called Baby Brezza that does the same things as Beaba (steams and blends foods) but costs $50 less and it's noted that it also defrosts foods. It's a relatively new product so there isn't too much out there as far as ratings.

Anyone know of this product...planning to get it...have found new ratings about it? Please share!

http://www.babybrezza.com/

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been making DD's foods since she started eating solids.

I haven't used the appliances you mention, but I was able to do her purees with a food processor and steamer insert. The puree stage didn't last long at all.

Just my opinion, I think it may be a lot of money to spend on an appliance with limited usage. You can always use a food processor and steamer insert.

Quote Originally Posted by HonoluluMom View Post
    I've been making DD's foods since she started eating solids.

I haven't used the appliances you mention, but I was able to do her purees with a food processor and steamer insert. The puree stage didn't last long at all.

Just my opinion, I think it may be a lot of money to spend on an appliance with limited usage. You can always use a food processor and steamer insert.

I had a miniprep when my son was a baby and it was more trouble than it was worth. You can just finger feed cubes of soft things, or smash up pretty much everything else with a fork. (we pretty much skipped purees with the girls) It really doesn't have to be expensive or complicated to make your own baby food.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't have it, but had it been out in 2006 I would've bought it to use for her and future siblings because I knew we eventually wanted more kids. I tried to make DD1 some purees using the Mini Prep and I didn't get it right so I just decided to do jarred food and it worked out fine. With DD2 I thought about getting the Beaba, and looked on Craigslist, and Ebay, but did some poking around here and got some good advice and suggestions for babyfood websites Wholesome Baby Food, and Smitten Kitchen/Baby and decided to make my own with the Cuisinart, and a stick blender. It ended up being really easy, but if you think that the Beaba will make your life easier, which it might then go ahead and get it. I would suggest buying it at Williams Sonoma even though you won't get any discounts because they have a wonderful return policy if the unit doesn't work, esp. if you plan to use for more than one baby.

Whatever you do though get the Beaba frozen food trays. I bought my 3 off Ebay for $45 and they are great. The best.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post

I had a miniprep when my son was a baby and it was more trouble than it was worth. You can just finger feed cubes of soft things, or smash up pretty much everything else with a fork. (we pretty much skipped purees with the girls) It really doesn't have to be expensive or complicated to make your own baby food.
    We received the Beaba as a very generous gift from a friend. We used it some but overall it wasn't worth the cost for the very short duration of true purees. I found it was easiest to make large batches of babyfood at the same time and the Beaba just doesn't have enough capacity to do that. By the time you steam and puree, rinse, steam and puree you could have easily used regular kitchen appliances. We also found we got better flavors by baking fruits and veggies instead of steaming.

I'd skip the Beaba and invest in a stick blender like the $20 Cuisinart from Costco.

Thanks Mikala!

So from what I've gathered, these machines are not worth the cost since purees will be used for a short period of time and baby will start eating soft foods very quickly. Not to mention the lack of capacity they offer - you're better off using your own (larger) machines to make more food.

So much to learn...

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We only did purees for about a month and a half since DS didn't really want solids until closer to 8 months and we did mash a lot of stuff. We just used our mini prep, but for this next one, I plan on using our immersion blender. I love that thing and it's so easy to use and clean up!
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

You know the only making small amounts of things at once isn't all bad. One of the most disappointing things about making our own food was DS loved sweet potatoes... so I came up with this concoction, I dunno, banana, sweet potato, I forget what else - and he loved it - and I made a TON - and froze it in cute little cubes - and I felt like mother of the year - and he would never touch it again.

That was one thing that seriously turned me off to the whole cult of making your own baby food. I really did find it better to mash/cut/cube as you go. Of course this is unlikely to happen with the most simple fool proof things - ie fruit - but still is it worth it? Meh. I don't think so.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Totally agree with PPs..

No point in getting an apparatus really. I use my DH's veggie steamer and mash the food myself.

I love the ice tray method. Although now I'm getting more and more into making less quantities because what he likes one day, he won't the next. Oh well. I'll try to keep up

----------------------------------------------------------------

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I made all of DS's food, and I found an immersion blender to be a perfect tool for my needs. (DS is 2.75 and I still make him a huge batch of pearsauce every couple of weeks--6-10 pears' worth). When you're first introducing foods you want to give it to them for several days in a row, so the idea of making a bigger batch can be a time-saver (it was for me). I froze in ice cube trays, then popped them out and stored frozen in bags. If I wanted to mix stuff I just grabbed a cube or two of different things and stirred them together when I thawed and warmed them.

This site is great for a resource. With it I didn't have to buy (or check out of the library) a single book.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast