Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have you used fenugreek? Supply issues

Hi. My son is almost 8 mos and I am finding that it is getting tougher and tougher to pump enough to send him to daycare. I work part time and already pump about 6 times while I am there (5 times for 5 missed feedings and then once more just to have enough for my husband to put him to sleep since I have a super long commute). It's exhausting and I'm starting to worry since he seems to be eating more and I'm still pumping the same measly amount.

I am considering taking fenugreek capsules to increase my supply but was told a few things about it that worried me. One, I was told that if you wanted to stop using it you'd have to wean yourself off of it or the baby will get upset b/c your supply decreases dramatically after stopping it. Also, I was told the baby (and me?) would smell like maple syrup (eww)! And finally, I never really loved taking supplements of any kind, so I guess that worries me too (maybe this shouldn't be a concern if it's just an herb, is that correct?). so I guess I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues and if you took something like like (I think Mother's Milk is similar). Thanks!

I take 3 fenugreek capsules and 2 blessed thistle capsules 3 times a day. My supply tanked when DS was about 3 months old and the supplements have definitely helped. I had never taken any type of herb before, but I was desperate and didn't want to take an RX drug. I also have oatmeal for breakfast most mornings and eat lactation cookies regularly. I definitely notice a difference if I miss more than one of the things in my mix.
    My urine smells like maple syrup most of the time, but I haven't noticed any smell (and no one else had said anything) on DS.

I did fenugreek tea, Mother's Milk tea, oatmeal, and lactation cookies with DS and it made a big difference in getting my supply built up, I thought. I did pretty much just fenugreek with DD and it definitely did help, but I never had as good of supply with her as with DS. I would do all of the above. I never noticed an issue when I stopped the fenugreek, nor did I notice any strange odors.
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

I had supply issues from about 3 months on and I took More Milk Plus starting around 7 mos or so (which has Fenugeek in it- I took the liquid form). I noticed that within a few days I had quite a bit more milk- but it didn't last more than a couple of weeks- I was able to eeek out to 10 months, and maybe it was because of the supplement, who knows. I didn't notice a smell either.

I'm sure you are already doing these things, but I found that they helped me. Drinking a TON of water- I never was without a glass in my hand.
    I started the progesterone only Birth Control pill and I really think it affected my supply at 3 months- even though its not supposed to. When I went off it, I noticed a huge difference.
    Same thing for allergy bills, I was on Zyrtec, and when I went off my supply increased slightly also.
    Eating oatmeal every day.

HTH- so sorry- know how you feel.

I took fenugreek when I pumped exclusively for 15 months. I took 3 capsules, 3 times per day. My sweat and urine smelled a little bit like maple syrup but it wasn't noticeable to other people, or even me after a while. I definitely felt like the benefits outweighed any of the negative. I also ate almonds and ate a lot of oatmeal as that also helps with supply. I also tried to drink a LOT of water. Good luck, whatever you do.
    DD '06
    DD '14

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I took it for awhile in the beginning. I was told the same thing about the maple smell, but I didn't notice anything. I have heard that taking it is most effective in the early months of BFing, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I believe that at a certain point, the body can stop responding to the pump as it did before (I was unable to pump anything at the 1 year mark, even though DS was still nursing 7 times a day). Is there any way you can add more feedings while you're home? I know it's not easy. I hope you can get your supply back up.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I took fenugreek to boost supply while working and pumping with both kids and it helped (the LC told me it would boost supply about 1/3 and that was about right for me, I think). My urine smelled a bit like maple syrup (I was told that you would know you were taking enough when you could smell it) but I didn't get complaints from others (and trust me, my not-so-subtle DH would have brought it up). I had no side effects.

There are plenty of "herbs" which are NOT safe, or can have some pretty major side effects. But this one, I think, is really pretty safe. I'd just make sure you cross-reference it with any other meds you may be taking.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I took Fenugreek off and on from 3 months postpartum onwards - I noticed a little bit of a maple syrup smell in my urine, but that was it. I think it helped with supply initially, but then kind of tapered off after a month or so (which is why I stopped taking it regularly). I then started the Mother's Milk tea, which I thought helped a lot, much more than the Fenugreek, especially if I managed to drink it two or more times in a day.

Thanks everyone! I plan to try out the fenugreek then or the mother's milk. I drink a decent amount of water, but I'm sure I could be drinking more. I heard oatmeal has an effect so I tried it for 2 days and didn't notice much difference, but maybe eaten everyday?

So the mother's milk is in liquid form? Is it icky to drink if so? Otherwise I may just get the fenugreek. Oh, and I've never heard of lactation cookies. Where do you buy them??

Thanks again.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Late to this. I took fenugreek 3 capsules 3 times a day. You can also instead take More Milk Plus which is a combo of fenugreek & blessed thistle and I guess it comes as a tincture or tabs. I never noticed the maple syrup smell either. About oatmeal, I heard it should be steel cut or rolled oats not the instant kind.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast