Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I made all of DS's food, and I found an immersion blender to be a perfect tool for my needs. (DS is 2.75 and I still make him a huge batch of pearsauce every couple of weeks--6-10 pears' worth). When you're first introducing foods you want to give it to them for several days in a row, so the idea of making a bigger batch can be a time-saver (it was for me). I froze in ice cube trays, then popped them out and stored frozen in bags. If I wanted to mix stuff I just grabbed a cube or two of different things and stirred them together when I thawed and warmed them.

This site is great for a resource. With it I didn't have to buy (or check out of the library) a single book.
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

I really, really wanted the Beaba or the Breazza. But I listened to the moms here and didn't buy one of them. Instead, when I cook dinner, I make extra veggies. Before they are seasoned or salted, I put some in my Hamilton Beach bullet blender with a little water, and voila! Baby food.

Blender - $15
    http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...2264367&sr=8-1

Ice cube trays with lids - $5 each
    http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Food-Free...2264413&sr=1-2

I think I spent $30 total on my baby food system, and I am SO grateful. Gadgets are fun, but the baby food makers have short-lived usefulness. My baby just started purees and he's already grabbing for finger foods. When you're ready for that stage, babyledweaning.com is an excellent resource.

Also, our pediatrician recommended just using regular applesauce, yogurt, etc. and not the "baby" stuff. I think the only packaged baby food we've bought is the Earth's Best Organic Oatmeal. (Way more popular than rice cereal around here.)
    Last edited by LadyPeter; 04-08-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    Beaming mom to DS born 10/20/2010.
    The Force is strong with this one.

PGTB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I was thinking of getting the Beaba at some point, but decided against it. We already had magic bullet blender, which is easy to clean and takes little space. We simply didn't have extra counter space for another appliance.

When I watched the review of the Beaba it seems like you still have to do a two step process - steam first, then dump the food from the steamer basket into the container and blend. its' not like you put it into the container, press one button and voila it steams and then blends right away in one step.

We bought a silicon steamer for the microwave, so were able to steam fast and then blend with the Magic bullet, but we ended up going with a completely different approach for homemade purees anyway.

We started making soups/stews. Make a batch in a medium size pot with protein (fish or beef or chicken) veggies (whatever you like), starches (potatoes, rice, or noodles), olive oil. The soup will have complete nutrients plus they remain in the broth of the soup that is used for the puree. You can even give the baby extra broth to drink. The soup goes into the fridge in the same pot it's prepared in (we use enameled pot, enamel is non-reactive). We puree it with the magic bullet every day, leftover puree goes into the fridge for the next feeding (but not for more than 12 hours). If you want to experiment with BLW you can also give the baby some pieces of meat, veggies, potato without blending to play with, then blend the rest of the portion to feed. The advantage is that it does not need to be in the puree form all the time, and it's always ready.. Just pour out a little to heat on the stove or microwave and you are ready to go.

We usually keep the fridge fairly cold, so no worries about it going bad and we only feed the same soup for about 2-3 days. On the 4th day if something is left DH and I eat it. Our freezer stuff gets major freezer burn and I avoid freezing baby food in it.

The only advantage I see of using such devices as Beaba/Breeza is perhaps because the materials are BPA free? I don't know if all blenders (esp. Magic Bullet) are BPA free, but then if you only use it to blend and not heat up and store, you should be fine.
    DS 04/2010
    DD 09/2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2