happy2bamom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you determine the value of something?

There are several things in our new home that are not our taste. I don't know if I should donate or try to sell on craigslist. For instances, drapes from the formal dining room (lined drapes with cornice board) and chandeliers from several rooms.

WWYD?

For the record, I'm not against donating things that are of value but replacing all of those items isn't cheap so I could use the money if it would actually bring some in. YKWIM?
    Kelli
    Proud mama to Biggy & Redball

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, depending on how long you want to live in your home and whether or not you may want to take some of your draperies and light fixtures, etc. with you, you may want to keep those for when you are selling your house. For example, we put up a very nice chandelier in our dining room. The one that came with the house was some horrid star trek looking smoked glass disaster. We donated it, BUT when we sell the house, I will take the chandelier and probably replace it with a simple light fixture instead. If you think that some of the things you are going to replace, will be something you may want to take with you when/if you move, then maybe keeping some of those items stored and putting them back up when it's time to sell would be worthwhile. Otherwise, I would just donate them. I think that window coverings can be hard to sell, b/c the sizing is all over the place in ppl's homes.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I've been repurposing a room (from dining room to living room) and while the items are my taste, I needed to get rid of them before buying new furniture. I was able to successfully sell a lot (dining table, kitchen table and chairs, rug) on Craigslist. How you price depends on how quickly you want to move your item. If you want to get rid of it fast, price it cheap. If you want to make as much money as you can, price higher (but still realistic). How I price my furniture items is to check as many similar Craigslist postings as I can. I also think what I would pay for this item used. And lastly, I have considered consigning my items and my local consignment shop is willing to get an e-mail photo and let me know what they would price it at. Some people are wary of using Craigslist because you are dealing with strangers that may be coming to your home. I never respond to an e-mail that sounds funny. And if it's a big furniture item that would require them to come to my house, I always ask to speak to them first. I say it's so I can better describe the item and they can ask more questions. I've been very happy with all my Craigslist experiences so far.

That being said, if you don't think others would like your items, then donation might be the better route. You can at least claim a tax deduction.

happy2bamom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Well, depending on how long you want to live in your home and whether or not you may want to take some of your draperies and light fixtures, etc. with you, you may want to keep those for when you are selling your house. For example, we put up a very nice chandelier in our dining room. The one that came with the house was some horrid star trek looking smoked glass disaster. We donated it, BUT when we sell the house, I will take the chandelier and probably replace it with a simple light fixture instead. If you think that some of the things you are going to replace, will be something you may want to take with you when/if you move, then maybe keeping some of those items stored and putting them back up when it's time to sell would be worthwhile. Otherwise, I would just donate them. I think that window coverings can be hard to sell, b/c the sizing is all over the place in ppl's homes.
    hmmm ... never thought of that before. I may have to discuss this with DH. Had I done this at our last house, I wouldn't need to buy a chandelier for this new house. I'm going with Plantation Shutters so they'll be staying regardless.
    Kelli
    Proud mama to Biggy & Redball