Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Nail-clipping disaster

Trying to clip baby's nails when you are over 40 is not.a.good.idea. My poor baby. I cut her favorite thumb. I can't put a bandage on it, or she would swallow it. Luckily, it didn't bleed much, but I hope it doesn't get infected. It was not a good Mommy moment.

Oh boo, I did that when DS was about 3 weeks old. I wouldnt cut his nails for another month, I made my mom or sister do it. It will heal, she won't remember, dont worry mama!

ETA - I was 26 lol so don't worry about age being a factor! lol
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Did it here - only we ended up in the ER when it didn't stop bleeding for hours. It was almost a year ago and I still feel that cut into skin that feels different than a nail whenever I think about it.

Needless to say, I clip as infrequently as possible on both kids.

I found it much easier to do a small baby while in the carrier, or even highchair, if that helps in any wy.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

OK, this is going to sound gross, but at the hospital the nurses told me to bite DS's nails instead of cutting them and in desperation (my baby is like the Wolverine with his claw like nails ) I tried it and it worked pretty well.
    Blessed mommy of 2 beautiful boys

I think we've all done it! Hang in there, it will heal soon!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by toystorymama View Post
    OK, this is going to sound gross, but at the hospital the nurses told me to bite DS's nails instead of cutting them and in desperation (my baby is like the Wolverine with his claw like nails ) I tried it and it worked pretty well.
    Oh I got that advice from my grandma & a good buddy at the office ... I'd totally do it, but I can't even bite my OWN nails anymore - my teeth don't line up correctly.

I nicked my DD's finger with the clipper, too. It bled, she screamed & I now have PTSD from it. But she healed & doesn't remember a thing. Thankfully.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by toystorymama View Post
    That's a good idea. I was able to peel them when she was first born, but now they are a little tougher. Also, I was trying to get nail clippings for a study that we are participating in. At this point, they will have to take what I've already collected!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I still file Jacks. Works better and no injuries
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I clipped DS's fingers a couple times. Now I make sure to wear reading glasses when clipping nails. (I'm also in the over 40 set).
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The were a couple incidents with DD where I drew blood...finally DH put his foot down and said he would do the nail clipping... fine by me! Too nerve wracking!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast