Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well, I don't shovel at all--dh snowblows. But, I do know what works best...it depends on how much and what kind of snow you are getting (and also whether or not you are going out or having visitors). If it's going to be a wet, heavy snow or a lot of snow, then shovel before it stops. But, if it's light and fluffy and not a lot of it, you can probably wait (except maybe for a path for the mail or paper carrier).

DH will use the snowblower whenever the snowing lightens up a bit or stops.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes, if there is a lot of snow predicted it's easiest to get rid of it in "shifts.' If you wait until it get's really heavy, you'll kill yourself trying to lift it up on the shovel to throw it.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it's heavy, yes, cuz otherwise you'll have 8 inches to do instead of 4. We have a blower -- I don't undersatnd how anyone in heavy snow areas with big driveways live without one -- and we blow mid-snowfall often. If it's going to rain and sleet, then YES, cuz whatever's not blown will freeze over, then you'll really be up a creek cuz you won't be able to break up the 4 inches of ice no matter what tools you have.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We got about 1.5 inches of really really wet snow. then it started sleeting. By mid morning it was rain. This afternoon we are expecting up to 10 inches of snow (wet snow again). I shoveled what fell this morning, when it had stopped around 10 am. If I did not, we would end up with 1.5 inches of ice beneath the snow. We have a pick and a hoe that has been used A LOT in the past for this type of situation (my father used to use it to break up the ice). We decided that instead of killing ourselves late tonight or tomorrow to just shovel the bottom layer up and put down ice melt right away. I'm hoping it works and we don't end up cracking our driveway as we chip away at a bottom layer or ice.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, I almost always go out one time during the snow then again after the snow. I just find it easier to deal with and I like to be a good neighbor.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    If it is going to be a lot of snow (more than say, 4"), especially wet heavy snow, you bet you should shovel more than once. It is much easier to shovel 3 or 4 inches of snow than 8+!
    This is my husband's philosophy. He is from Michigan. He knows snow.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

No. See my siggie.

this thread is making me glad that i went out and shovelled. our snow has changed over completely to rain, and it's making my shovelling look pretty good (dh is out of town until tomorrow (was supposed to be tonight)) and didn't want the ice rink to form)

it's shifting to snow after sunset...we have salt -- should i put that down or will it wash away? will it help the rain not freeze?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2