Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is it not good to get a house on the corner lot or on the cul-de-sac?

My SIL told me today but couldn't remember where she read it from. Any thoughts? TIA!

Corner lots are usually more expensive around here and more valued, they get more sunlight, more privacy without houses on all sides, etc. Not super familiar with cul de sac values since we are in a traditional neighborhood, but our friends who are cul de sac experts say the back lot in the U of the cul de sac is preferable and generally more expensive. Those who live in cul de sacs can weigh in, is that the case?

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OP, not good in what respect? Financially? Practically? Feng shui? Other? Do you know what she was referring to?
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
    OP, not good in what respect? Financially? Practically? Feng shui? Other? Do you know what she was referring to?

Our house is on the corner so you have me wondering. We do have higher taxes because of our location on the corner and more sidewalks to shovel in thw winter (and grass to mow in the summer)! Those are surely some negatives in my mind but i'd love to know what you (your friend) were thinking about.
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Cul de sac lots are usually premium lots, and are great when you have kids b/c they have a relatively safe place to ride bikes, etc. Corner lots are a little different, imo. Some people love them, some people hate them. I like to be way in the back of the neighborhood so that we have more privacy. When you're on the corner, you have two sides exposed instead of just the front. Usually you see corner lots used a selling point though.

ETA: I could see someone who didn't have kids maybe not wanting to be on a cul de sac b/c of kids playing in front of their house.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Pretty much the opposite, those are both desirable!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Cul de sac lots are probably more desirable because they get the least # of cars going through, therefore quieter and safer place for kids to play. I LOVE cul de sacs.

Eta. Some lots on the cul de sacs have longer driveways = farther from street. Others have bigger, tho oddly shaped yards.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The only thing I can think of is that corner lots may have more traffic going past them??? But, I can't think of a down side to cul-de-sacs.

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We're 2 lots down from a cul de sac & love it for all the reasons mentioned-- less traffic, safer for the kids, etc. The houses actually ON the cul de sac are some of the most expensive in the neighborhood as a result. I also think they're slightly bigger b/c there was a little more room to build on those lots.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

I wouldn't want a corner because you get traffic on two sides. We live in a quiet neighborhood, but when you're home all day you realize how many delivery trucks etc go by. I wouldn't want to have that on two sides.

For cul de sacs I've read they are not as safe as people think. They don't have through traffic, but lots of u-turning cars make it not so safe (though I can't remember if it's less safe than traditional streets). I'll try to find the article.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast