Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default UppaBaby G-Luxe vs. Maclaren Quest

Hello,

I'm down to these two choices and need some help deciding (keep in mind, I'm only considering the 2011 G-Luxe with the 50 lbs. limit). So far, the G-Luxe is in the lead with bigger canopy, wheels, storage bag. The higher handle and stand-up features aren't a biggie for me. Maclaren has the advantage in weight capacity. Which stroller has the thicker seat/back padding? The feature that I'm most stuck on is the reclining backrest. Which model reclines further? G-Luxe is advertised at 120 degrees but I can't find the specs for the Quest. I'm also looking at the mechanism that's used for reclining (one-handed string for the G-Luxe vs. the two-handed gizmo for the Quest). Pros and cons of either style? Thanks.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also was stuck on these two and after looking at them all (I had to look at the 2010 G-Luxe but was planning on ordering the 2011) I decided to go with the Bumbleride Flite. Sorry if this confuses you more

I liked that it was a little more versitile, here is my review if you are interested...
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=380153

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here's another consideration if you're tall or have a long stride - kicking the back of the Quest, but not the G-Luxe (the rear frame is elevated to prevent this). This is the reason I hate Macs - drives me nuts!!! I'm only around 5'7" (probably closer to 5'6") but have a long stride too.

jbbhb - does the Bumbleride Flite have an elevated rear frame? I looked at your pics but couldn't tell.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

I'm barely 5' and hubby is 5'6" so leg room is not a concern for us. The Bumbleride looks tempting but it's 2 lbs. heavier than the G-Luxe. At barely 5' and 90 lbs. dripping wet, the lighter the stroller the better for me. Having said that, if the Quest (12.2 lbs.) edges out in this comparison, then I'm gonna have to open it back up to the Flite.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMichelle View Post
    I'm barely 5' and hubby is 5'6" so leg room is not a concern for us. The Bumbleride looks tempting but it's 2 lbs. heavier than the G-Luxe. At barely 5' and 90 lbs. dripping wet, the lighter the stroller the better for me. Having said that, if the Quest (12.2 lbs.) edges out in this comparison, then I'm gonna have to open it back up to the Flite.
    I did a comparison of the G-Luxe among a lot of other strollers. It's quite long, so if you carry it via the shoulder strap, at your height it might be awkward.

The G-luxe has a very good recline for an umbrella. I took lots of pics of some in my comparison recently.

Hello,

I'm down to these two choices and need some help deciding (keep in mind, I'm only considering the 2011 G-Luxe with the 50 lbs. limit). So far, the G-Luxe is in the lead with bigger canopy, wheels, storage bag. The higher handle and stand-up features aren't a biggie for me. Maclaren has the advantage in weight capacity. Which stroller has the thicker seat/back padding? The feature that I'm most stuck on is the reclining backrest. Which model reclines further? G-Luxe is advertised at 120 degrees but I can't find the specs for the Quest. I'm also looking at the mechanism that's used for reclining (one-handed string for the G-Luxe vs. the two-handed gizmo for the Quest). Pros and cons of either style? Thanks.
    My best friend had a Quest, I had a G-luxe. The reclines are the same in amount.

The strap recline is better because you have better access to the basket.

The Quest, I think, has a better leg rest and the liners are better looking. Also, resale value should be better on a Maclaren.

The G-luxe has a much better canopy.

New G-luxe models have locking front wheels! That's great when you are going over gravel... I don't say you should but I know you have to sometimes -- I've had to in new places. My front wheels do not lock and I was super annoyed by that (I have 2009 model)

The G-luxe is 1 lb lighter than the quest (at least).

I don't know how prices compare now but g-luxe used to be much cheaper than quest. That's why I got it (I got it b/c a friend was coming and I needed an inexpensive umbrella stroller for a 6 month old really quickly). I was very happy I did...

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I did a comparison of the G-Luxe among a lot of other strollers. It's quite long, so if you carry it via the shoulder strap, at your height it might be awkward.

The G-luxe has a very good recline for an umbrella. I took lots of pics of some in my comparison recently.
    Yes, I saw your review and pics. Very helpful. It seemed like these two models made your final cut too, have you decided? What made the difference?

In terms of some of the feedback that I've gotten...resale value is not that important to me so that's a wash...height difference is about 1.5 inches (from what I can tell) so that's not a deal maker/breaker either. What did you think of the padding between the two models? In terms of overall feel, was one significantly better than the other?

Yes, I saw your review and pics. Very helpful. It seemed like these two models made your final cut too, have you decided? What made the difference?

In terms of some of the feedback that I've gotten...resale value is not that important to me so that's a wash...height difference is about 1.5 inches (from what I can tell) so that's not a deal maker/breaker either. What did you think of the padding between the two models? In terms of overall feel, was one significantly better than the other?
    I finally went with a Triumph actually. I decided the quest was too much like my current BJCM. Since my baby is a few days shy of a year old, I wasn't sure how long I would need the leg rest. Plus I didn't really like the mechanism for the leg rest on the Quest (although I've heard it's different and more user friendly on the 2011 models - haven't seen one to play with it). So for the price difference - the Triumph fits my needs the best at a better price.

Cushioning - hmmm. I would say they feel about the same "cushiness", but the type of cushion they have is very different. I know that makes no sense. The recline on the G-luxe is a lot deeper. The quest has a foot rest, so the not as deep recline is kind of balanced out by the foot rest IMO.

Sturdiness - I found the G-luxe to be sturdier in terms of tippiness. I was able to hang my diaper bag off of both, and still had to "force" the G-luxe to tip backward some. The Maclarens are known for their tippiness.

The fold of the G-luxe is not as compact as the Maclaren if that matters. It still folds umbrella style of course - just a little bulkier.

The seat on the G-luxe is more upright in the upright position than the quest if that matters. And the G-Luxe comes with a cup holder.

I think they are about neck and neck. Is there a style you like better? Color you like better? The G-Luxe will be significantly cheaper than the Maclaren. You might want to just get both from a store with a good return policy and see which one you like better, and return the other one.

It's such an individual decision.

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I finally went with a Triumph actually. I decided the quest was too much like my current BJCM. Since my baby is a few days shy of a year old, I wasn't sure how long I would need the leg rest. Plus I didn't really like the mechanism for the leg rest on the Quest (although I've heard it's different and more user friendly on the 2011 models - haven't seen one to play with it). So for the price difference - the Triumph fits my needs the best at a better price.

Cushioning - hmmm. I would say they feel about the same "cushiness", but the type of cushion they have is very different. I know that makes no sense. The recline on the G-luxe is a lot deeper. The quest has a foot rest, so the not as deep recline is kind of balanced out by the foot rest IMO.

Sturdiness - I found the G-luxe to be sturdier in terms of tippiness. I was able to hang my diaper bag off of both, and still had to "force" the G-luxe to tip backward some. The Maclarens are known for their tippiness.

The fold of the G-luxe is not as compact as the Maclaren if that matters. It still folds umbrella style of course - just a little bulkier.

The seat on the G-luxe is more upright in the upright position than the quest if that matters. And the G-Luxe comes with a cup holder.

I think they are about neck and neck. Is there a style you like better? Color you like better? The G-Luxe will be significantly cheaper than the Maclaren. You might want to just get both from a store with a good return policy and see which one you like better, and return the other one.

It's such an individual decision.
    Can you elaborate on the cushioning? Different how? For instance, which seems to have the better fabric? Breathability? I've read that the G-Luxe is fade resistant. As for your other points, they are extremely helpful. In terms of pricing, the 2011 G-Luxe are $190 and the Maclarens that I've seen are in the $220 range, so not a huge difference. What prices have you seen that makes you say the L-Luxe is significantly cheaper? Thanks a bunch for your reply.

Can you elaborate on the cushioning? Different how? For instance, which seems to have the better fabric? Breathability? I've read that the G-Luxe is fade resistant. As for your other points, they are extremely helpful. In terms of pricing, the 2011 G-Luxe are $190 and the Maclarens that I've seen are in the $220 range, so not a huge difference. What prices have you seen that makes you say the L-Luxe is significantly cheaper? Thanks a bunch for your reply.
    I was seeing like $135 for the G-luxe for 2010 models. I don't know enough about them to know what the new features (if any) are on the 2011.

http://www.pishposhbaby.com/uppababy...7c0061HM_d_JKE

The Maclarens have more of a plushy material feel, and the G-luxe has more of a...meshy feel to the fabric. Not uncomfortable. But it kind of looks like it would be easy to snag it on something.

If you go back to the comparison photos from yesterday and look at the Part II ones, look at the green G-luxe my older DD is sitting in. When you click on the picture, you can zoom in (the little magnifying glass with a + sign on the right) and when it opens up, double click on the picture a few times (you can move the image around). Look by her leg...you can see the meshyness/textured type of fabric it has versus the Quests more solid type of fabric. I can't tell you about the Quests' fabric because depending on which one you choose it could be suede, canvas, denim, etc.
    Last edited by lhafer; 02-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast