Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Wait, they're not???
    They are genetically engineered form birth
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I can absolutely see something like this happening in my small town.

I think it's ridiculous, especially given that the girls' haircolor wasn't drastic or crazy. I think this is one of the reasons so many kids hate school...focusing on non-issues like this instead of things that are really important. I think this is where kids start seeing teachers and administrators as working against them instead of working with them.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    From what I found on their district website, it was that "inappropriate" colors were banned, not all hair coloring, and the examples given were orange and green. When I looked at the picture, the red was very close to a natural red, maybe a touch brighter, but not in the 'clearly unnatural' category, IMO. If she had been a redhead that dyed blonde streaks, I think the effect would have been similar.
    Further in the dress code, it repeats the phrase "inappropriate colors" and includes red. But, that is not an inappropriate shade of red.

Reading their dress code, I'd probably home school my child too because I think there should be room for at least a little bit of personality in a dress code. And that one clear goes over the top.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I think it's pretty simple. If the handbooks says not to, then nobody should be allowed to. I didn't think her hair was flamboyant but the next kid might color his hair purple. If they dont' treat all the kids the same, it's not fair to anyone. And eventually the handbooks won't mean anything.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think that if there is a rule that there's no unnatural hair color, then those are the rules. What I don't understand is why they're bothering. There are so many problems to deal with. I suppose gang areas can be very tricky. So, it's not a simple answer. I don't know if this is really a gang area or not. But overall, as a concept, if that's the rule, then I guess that's the rule. But why make hair a focus? I think it's a waste of energy.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I think it's pretty simple. If the handbooks says not to, then nobody should be allowed to. I didn't think her hair was flamboyant but the next kid might color his hair purple. If they dont' treat all the kids the same, it's not fair to anyone. And eventually the handbooks won't mean anything.

I totally agree with what the school did. But then, I got detention for not wearing socks at my high school. It was pretty strict.
    I agree with this statement. I haven't read any of the other posts since it was posted last night. I also think there is a big difference between a 6th grader at a traditional k-6 elementary school vs. a 6th grader at a middle school. I might be more lenient if it is at a middle school, but at elementary school there is still a fine line (unless it's Halloween).
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Although the picture in the link looked pretty tame to me, I question whether it looked much brighter IRL (especially considering the mom's comment that it came out brighter than expected). If the color was accurately pictured, I think the policy was overly strict. Nonetheless, if the rule is in place, parents/students are obligated to follow the rules and perhaps lobby for a change in the rules if they disagree. Overall, I am more supportive of these kinds of rules in a private school setting and get frustrated when others refuse to follow the rules. For example, at DS's school, there is a strict rule re. hair length which we follow. There are certain blatant repeat offenders who require teachers/administrators to waste their time enforcing a well known policy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4