Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Girl suspended for highlighted hair

I feel like I could argue this one either way, but deep down, this really bothers me. Was it a good decision on the mom's part to let her 12 yo get her hair colored in the first place? (I think 12 is too young, but at 14 I had pink and black hair). But is suspension the right punishment? Did this really have the potential to cause a distraction for her classmates?

What do you think?

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/02/16..._lnk3%7C202022
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd like to think that there are more important things for educators and administrators to be concerned about than hair color.

JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm, thats a tough one. I opened the link and was expecting to see some fuschia or bozo orange. I don't think that is really drastic and I actually like it. My mom is a hairdresser and never let me color my hair until I was 23 and only then because I did it myself from a box and she had to fix it
    Personally I would not let a 12 yo color their hair but I'm not judging the Mom for that decision. I did look up the school's handbook and it seems pretty strict (no jewelry, not even a watch is allowed) so I'm going to say the school was ok in this decision. Private school, they get to make up the rules. I can see how even though the hair isn't really shocking they probably figured if they let this go by, whats next and where do you draw the line?
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think that mom and dad get to decide if it is ok or not for their child. I think hair is different than a dress code, which is about modesty, and kids should be able to color their hair with their parent's consent. I don't think that the school should waste their time on this.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it's nuts. I have a 12 yo DD in 7th grade and I would let her do that, in fact it's a reward on her goal list for grades.

She's not allowed to wear makeup, have unsupervised internet access or wear a lot of the provocative clothing that is "in"...IMO hair color is a pretty safe form of self expression.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I'd like to think that there are more important things for educators and administrators to be concerned about than hair color.

JMHO.
    Good point, but I should point out that I had detention just about every day in my private girls HS for wearing the wrong shoes. Just in case your wondering where my opinion was shaped
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

Quote Originally Posted by mariza View Post
    Good point, but I should point out that I had detention just about every day in my private girls HS for wearing the wrong shoes. Just in case your wondering where my opinion was shaped
    What were the "wrong" shoes? Docs? Fluvogs? Chucks when you were required to wear penny loafers? Spill it, rebel!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Logan ( now 19) went through a phase about 10 where he bleached the top of his dark hair blond. So no I think hair color is a small thing in life. Hair is renewable I would have been really ticked. How is a school (public) the hair police?

oh found a pic of Logans hair during his bleach phase --- he dyed it bright blue once when he got all A's. I cant find that pic,

Wonder if they would have puished him for this?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley View Post
    What were the "wrong" shoes? Docs? Fluvogs? Chucks when you were required to wear penny loafers? Spill it, rebel!!!
    Haha, yes they were supposed to be brown penny loafers OR brown lace up. I often "forgot" to change out of my white Keds after gym or would try to sneak by in brown clogs. Crazy rebel, i know
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think it's pretty simple. If the handbooks says not to, then nobody should be allowed to. I didn't think her hair was flamboyant but the next kid might color his hair purple. If they dont' treat all the kids the same, it's not fair to anyone. And eventually the handbooks won't mean anything.

I totally agree with what the school did. But then, I got detention for not wearing socks at my high school. It was pretty strict.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast