Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post

* If DD is coughing, it's unlikely to be strep. I'd definitely agree with waiting it out, as difficult as that is. In the 'it could be worse' category, the virus going around here last fall was 5-7 days, sometimes longer. Hoping you avoided that one...
    Just wanted to say this isn't always the case. My DD had strep last spring -- pretty severe case, the nurse said it was one of the fastest positive tests she'd seen. She also said that the cough my DD had (which was horrendous) was a classic strep cough

This post is interesting to me though, b/c my DS just got strep for the first time this week (positive quick test yesterday) and while the antibiotics have kicked in and he's doing great, I'm worried about his sister. She's had a bad cold all week (actually was sick first), but no sore throat or fever and seems better today. I'm always second-guessing whether I should take them in and I keep wondering if I should take her in for a swab...we have house guests coming into town tonight, but I feel bad wasting the doctor's time since she seems better. I think I'm going to wait it out...our house guests are both MDs (a ped and a family practice doc), so maybe if it gets worse, they can take a look...
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's not uncommon for little kids, preschool and under to get anal strep. Yep, strep bottom. And older kids can get it there too. It made the rounds at preschool last year......ugh, ugh, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    Sorry you're going through this.

Two separate answers:

* You can definitely get strep without a sore throat...and sometimes without feeling sick at all. It recently happened to DD, which we found out when, after a fair amount of testing, we discovered she had a strep infection in her bladder.

* If DD is coughing, it's unlikely to be strep. I'd definitely agree with waiting it out, as difficult as that is. In the 'it could be worse' category, the virus going around here last fall was 5-7 days, sometimes longer. Hoping you avoided that one...

Also hoping you get some sleep - everything always seems worse without it.

We actually took DD into the ped's office on Monday with an awful cough and low grade fever thinking brochitis or sinus infection. No sore throat or gi symptoms. They did a strep test 'just in case' and it was positive! No one was expecting it. I really expected them to say it was just a cold. We don't usually go in until we've waited a fairly long time, but this time I was really glad we jumped on it quickly.

Hope your DD is better soon!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunny
    mom to DD E 11/03, DS1 W 3/06, and DS2 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by sunriseiz View Post
    We actually took DD into the ped's office on Monday with an awful cough and low grade fever thinking brochitis or sinus infection. No sore throat or gi symptoms. They did a strep test 'just in case' and it was positive! No one was expecting it. I really expected them to say it was just a cold. We don't usually go in until we've waited a fairly long time, but this time I was really glad we jumped on it quickly.

Hope your DD is better soon!
    Ugh, now I'm really second guessing not taking her in. She keeps saying she thinks she's going to throw up, but then she doesn't. I don't know if it's just drainage kind of feeling icky in her throat & tummy, or if her tonsils are swollen and triggering her gag reflex, kwim?

And now it's only been 5 hours since I gave her ibuprofen and her fever is back on the rise. We have no tylenol in the house at the moment - everything I had was recalled at some point last year and I never replaced it because all the generics were sold out at the time - so I can't piggyback them. Gah. I'm going to have DH stop on his way home and stock up on some essentials!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Ugh, now I'm really second guessing not taking her in. She keeps saying she thinks she's going to throw up, but then she doesn't. I don't know if it's just drainage kind of feeling icky in her throat & tummy, or if her tonsils are swollen and triggering her gag reflex, kwim?

And now it's only been 5 hours since I gave her ibuprofen and her fever is back on the rise. We have no tylenol in the house at the moment - everything I had was recalled at some point last year and I never replaced it because all the generics were sold out at the time - so I can't piggyback them. Gah. I'm going to have DH stop on his way home and stock up on some essentials!

Sarah
    I would call and see if someone can see her today. Don't want to have it be something that need antibiotics and suffer through the weekend. everyone except DH is on antibiotics in our house.... I had that swollen, too much mucus, I feel kinda queezy feeling a few days into this sickness. It was a harsh one.... 4 days into antibiotics and I am finally not blowing green anymore.

hope she feels better soon.

both the high fever virus and strep are going around here. DD (who is 5 and not a complainer) had a fever that started last friday. it was up to 104 on sat with ibuprofen and acetominophen. her ped wouldn't see her until she had the fever for more than 72 hours. she had no other symptoms, denied a sore throat. she wasn't really eating but otherwise was acting normal. fast forward to tuesday, and she is still running a fever, lower, but hovering between 100-101 with meds. finally saw the pediatrician and she tested postive for strep. the line on the rapod strep was faint, but i did see it. i said something to the ped about how i wish I had insisted she be seen earlier, and she said the rapid strep would have been negative earlier and we would have had to wait for the culture results which take a couple of days, so she wouldn't have recieved antibiotics any earlier.

of note, it is friday, day 8 of fever ( around 101 when she wakes up, clears with ibuprofen and returns in the evening), and day 4 of antibiotics and she is still running a fever. she is going back tomorrow if she wakes up with a fever in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    both the high fever virus and strep are going around here. DD (who is 5 and not a complainer) had a fever that started last friday. it was up to 104 on sat with ibuprofen and acetominophen. her ped wouldn't see her until she had the fever for more than 72 hours. she had no other symptoms, denied a sore throat. she wasn't really eating but otherwise was acting normal. fast forward to tuesday, and she is still running a fever, lower, but hovering between 100-101 with meds. finally saw the pediatrician and she tested postive for strep. the line on the rapod strep was faint, but i did see it. i said something to the ped about how i wish I had insisted she be seen earlier, and she said the rapid strep would have been negative earlier and we would have had to wait for the culture results which take a couple of days, so she wouldn't have recieved antibiotics any earlier.

of note, it is friday, day 8 of fever ( around 101 when she wakes up, clears with ibuprofen and returns in the evening), and day 4 of antibiotics and she is still running a fever. she is going back tomorrow if she wakes up with a fever in the morning.
    Sheesh, that would have really aggravated me. FWIW, we are on day 5 of antibiotics and I think she has finally turned the corner...yay! There is a lot of yucky stuff going on around here, too, including strep and the crazy virus. Hopefully, everyone's dc will be better soon.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sunny
    mom to DD E 11/03, DS1 W 3/06, and DS2 1/09

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2