Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Ikea Kura is not a bunk bed. It's a reversible bed but not intended to have a mattress above and below. I suppose you could just put a mattress below it but it litterally flips upside down and you can either make it up high and a play area beneath or have the bed down low, then the frame is at the bottom.

I wouldn't do a bunk bed at that age. Heck I wouldn't even put my 7 year old in a bunk bed, she still falls out of the bed at times! We got the expandable bed from Ikea and love it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19827958

It extends from the length of a crib to the length of a twin bed. There are 3 positions. It's the width of a twin. My very tall 3 year old has it in the middle position and has plenty of room. The frame overall is very small and super cute! It comes in a wood finish and black as well.

I think 4 is a little young for a bunk. I agree with storage under the beds and getting rid if the dresser, if that will work.

Overstock has some twins with drawers underneath.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...tml?rcmndsrc=2

Catherine

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I too would be a little weary of putting a 4 yo in a bunk bed. I like the idea of buying 2 twins with lots of storage space underneath and purging (or at least rotating) the toys. For me getting a trundle out every night would be a bit of a PITA.

ETA: what about this one from IKEA? You could always customize it with paint, etc. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40177520
    Last edited by LMPC; 02-23-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I think L shaped may be the only possible way that we can do single beds. I suppose we could try a double but I hate to take up all the space. We really can't move more toys into the living room, we already have a lot out there. Maybe the solution is just to get rid of more toys!
    I am considering building this for my boys.

http://ana-white.com/2010/06/furnitu...-for-twin.html

Another option I am considering is to find twin frames that I can eventually bunk.

There is one on ana-white as well.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the look of the l-shaped configuration for twin beds! But if you are thinking of putting your house on the market I would go for a trundle bed (under a twin bed) for now and buy an additional twin after you move. Two beds in a small room would for me accentuate the small size of the room and might deter a future buyer.
    K

twindad is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Our twin girls share a small room and have a trundle bed. It has worked out very well for us. We weren't ready to get them bunk beds - plus their room is just too small for bunk beds because we have a ceiling fan that would be too close to the top bunk no matter where the bed was placed.

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I love the look of the l-shaped configuration for twin beds! But if you are thinking of putting your house on the market I would go for a trundle bed (under a twin bed) for now and buy an additional twin after you move. Two beds in a small room would for me accentuate the small size of the room and might deter a future buyer.
    This is an excellent point!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I haven't read the replies, but what about having them share a double bed? My identical twin sister and I shared a double bed for several years.

My 3 year old has the IKEA Minnen bed that someone else linked above. Super cute, and way low to the ground. We have a twin mattress on it.
    Last edited by tarahsolazy; 02-23-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am thinking about getting two of the Ikea Kura. Does anyone anywhere know the height between the floor and the bottom of the bed? If anyone has the Kura and could measure for me I'd be very thankful. We may go to Ikea this weekend but it's a couple hours away so I really want to think this through ahead of time. I keep googling and can't believe I cannot find this info...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast