Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Difference between Stride Rite and Circo/Cherokee sneakers?

DS gets one or two pairs of sneakers every year as he outgrows them. That's ~9 months of wear (on average). Thus far I've bought him the cheap $16 sneakers from Target and I think they've been ok. Stride Rite has some really nice sneakers that are like cars with lights that he'd love...but they're $50! Is there anything that makes their big kid shoes amazingly superior (DS is a size 11-12), or are their labor practices such that the higher price is justified by paying their factory workers a living wage?

I just don't want to spend more money if its not worth it.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know anything about labor practices, but FWIW, my son's orthopedist said any shoes were fine as long as they fit him and were comfortable. He said there was no reason to spend more if something less expensive fit those criteria.

We wear lots of Target shoes in this house (DC and I).

I don't know if this still is true, but in the past some of Target's shoes were manufactured by StrideRite.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I can tell a difference when I'm wearing a Target shoe vs. a more expensive brand. Some of the Circo/Cherokee shoes I've tried to put on my DC didn't bend well, so I felt spending a little more was worth it. We've done the white summer sandals from Target, but that's all really.

We do buy SR shoes, but we get them through ebates.com, with a 20% off code, plus 10% off with the member discount, through shoebuy.com. They come out to about $30 with the discounts. I can handle $30 for the main pair of shoes.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The main difference I see is that the shoes are Target do not come in wide and are generally not made on a wide last. DD and DS wear wides. DD is wider than DS. Target shoes are just to narrow for them (and we have tried). Back when I was a kid "cheap" shoes used to be made wider. Not so much anymore. So, I do pay the extra $$ to get shoes that fit my kids well. IF they were not wides, but just regular mediums I would be buying Target, payless etc.. shoes b/c kids shoes are so darn expensive. My kids get 1 pair of shoes. So they don't have sneakers and a nicer pair--just sneakers or just a leather shoe with a rubber sole. When their feet slow down a lot that will probably change.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    The main difference I see is that the shoes are Target do not come in wide and are generally not made on a wide last.

I just shelled out nearly $50 to get DD1 a pair of Tsukihoshi sneakers because of her high instep and wide foot.

I think that SR are a much better shoe and wear better than the Target brands. I've never paid more than $30 for a pair of SR because I either get them on a good sale or get them at the outlets.

I would say, look for deals on StrideRites and if you can find them for ~$30 they are worth it but if not Target shoes are fine.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have seen Tsukihoshi on sale online (but still more than $30). DD wears those and new balance, stride rite and jumping jacks pretty exclusively b/c that's all her foot fits into.

I would love for DD to have multiple pairs of shoes (and she would if I could find her shoes at Target etc...), or to just not have to break the bank when we get new shoes.

Going this weekend for new shoes as both kids have outgrown their current shoes. I hope to walk away spending less than $120 on 2 pairs of shoes......
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree I think that most shoe companies are better than the ones you get at Target or Payless, however you can get quality shoes like New Balance for less than $50 and they will probably wear better than a pair of Stride Rites with lights. Someone here last week was complaining that she had to replace a pair of character shoes with lights from Stride Rite because they didn't wear well. I am very happy with the Stride Rite shoes I got for DD1 a few months ago. We paid $30 for them (on sale) from a local shoe store. They also should be having their BOGO 1/2 off sale soon, which is also good at Nordstroms.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

FWIW Payless owns Stride Rite. They sell some payless shoes at the stride rite outlet. Payless has a line called Smart Fit that seem to be pretty good. I pay more for DCs everyday shoes and get worn once in awhile shoes at Target/Payless.
    NB has made in America shoes but I think most shoe companies use the same kind of manufacturing practices. You are paying more for styling, material and brand name.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Good fit and flexibility are the biggest things IME. I am pretty picky about shoes and my kids have worn both higher end and low end. DS1 had a pair of payless sneakers years ago that were super flexible and had a good fit. We've bought things like geox, etc in the past, but only on sale.

I worked as a PT in EI, and I think stride rite isn't all that it is cracked up to be...except for their ability to accommodate those hard to fit kits with wide feet, etc.

For the youngest kids, IME, I've seen a lot of parents get pushed into too much sole for a young child when a more flexible sole would be ideal.

eta: most orthos I've worked with have shared the view expressed in the post a few up. If it fits well and allows natural foot motion (flexible soles) no need to spend $$ for more expensive shoes. Granted, there are kids that are hard to fit or have to accommodate orthotics, etc. and that's a little different scenario.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS doesn't have wide feet and he's never required a special fit for shoes to stay on. I guess that makes it easier in terms of price/selection.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)