Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Need some help finding pants for DD

DD just went through a growth spurt and her legs are suddenly longer. She's also really narrow around the waist. She's 22 months old and wears 12-18 months in pants (gymborree or old navy, mostly). The pants are now still kind of loose at the waist and too short in the leg.

Any ideas of brands that run long and narrow?

We've had the most sucess with a pair of jeans from Old Navy that are 18-24 month size with an adjustable waist, but it seems like now ON only puts the adjustable waist in 2T and above now. Are there other (semi-affordable) brands that put the adjustable waist in smaller sizes?
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS is skinny. I still take tucks in his sweats etc... That is the only thing that works if there is no adjustable waist.

For a girl I would probably do mostly leggings. I do that for DD (who is ahem....wider). It's very hard for me to find pants that fit her b/c her hips and tush are bigger. I have mostly HA leggings I got from costco. They work well. I do have some lands end elastic waist pants that also work well.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    For a girl I would probably do mostly leggings. I do that for DD (who is ahem....wider). It's very hard for me to find pants that fit her b/c her hips and tush are bigger. I have mostly HA leggings I got from costco. They work well. I do have some lands end elastic waist pants that also work well.
    When you do leggings, do you always pair them with a dress or longer tunic top? I ask because DD has leggings - and you're right, they fit better - but most of her tops are regular t-shirts, so I always think they look funny with leggings because they stop at the top of the pants, does that make sense?

I kind of feel like I need a do-over with DD's wardrobe and need to get better about buying coordinating pieces.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

I do leggings with dresses, tunic tops, sweaters and tops that are not tunic, but are just longer (hip length or at least cover a little bit of the upper glute area). There is a child in DD's class who wears stretch pants and tops that end at her waistband (these are 3 yr olds). It's not an appropriate look in this case. For a younger skinny child it would not be so bad (plus leggings are little looser than stretch pants IMO).

The other thing I would do is buy the size needed for the length and take a tuck at the waist. It's very simple and not time consuming to do this. Another option is to put elastic in the waist (I do not like doing this. I find it much harder to do).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    There is a child in DD's class who wears stretch pants and tops that end at her waistband (these are 3 yr olds). It's not an appropriate look in this case. For a younger skinny child it would not be so bad (plus leggings are little looser than stretch pants IMO).
    This is totally what I was thinking - almost all of DD's shirts end at the waistband. I guess there are two different kinds of leggings - the spandexy tight ones and the knit ones like the ones from Gymboree. I suppose she could wear her current shirts with the knit ones, but not the tight ones.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

That is what I would do. DD wears the knit ones. I hate the tight ones unless it's under a dress.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My daughter has a similar build and we do lots of dresses with leggings. Tea Collection clothing is very long and narrow and works well for this body type too.

Gymboree leggings are cut really skinny (especially the velour ones) and we also like the yoga pant type Circo leggings from Target. Depending on the weather where you are you might find that regular pants a few sizes too small make good Capris.
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try the Arizona jeans from JCPenney. They work well for my long-legged, skinny boy (older though--size 6) and my not quite as long-legged but still skinny girl (size 3T now). They go on sale pretty frequently. Some people have trouble with the knees not lasting as long as other brands. IDK because we don't spend $$$ on the other brands, so I can't compare.

Sometimes Circo and Cherokee (Target brands) work well for DD; other times not so much. But Target has always been great with returns. (We keep all receipts.)
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

To pair shrits that ends at the waist my favorite bottoms are velour pants. They are stretchy so fit a variety of body shapes, comfy like leggings, but have more heft/weight to them and are shaped like real pants. The combo that I can't stand are short tops with tight leggings...way to revealing and not fashionably appropriate IMHO.

We do a lot of dresses and leggings and are big fans of Tea Collection.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast