boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Toddler Bed to Full Size Bed

DD is currently in a toddler bed/convertible crib. The past month or so, she has been getting up in the middle of the night and sleeping on the floor. (We usually have a pillow and blanket on the floor in her room. I lay on the floor until she falls asleep; it's what works for us.)

I am wondering if she wants more room, and that is why she is going to the floor. She sleeps like a windmill - all over the place.

Her crib goes from a toddler bed straight to a full size bed. We have a spare twin bed in the basement. Should we try that instead of purchasing a full bed. A full just seems too big for her right now!

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We moved DS from a toddler bed to a twin we already had. He only fell out of bed once (and that's when I set up a "dog bed" for all his stuffies to sleep in on the floor instead of his bed). DS flops over quite a bit - he's in a different position (although his head is always closest to the door) every time I check on him.

Is a full really that much bigger than a twin? If you plan to put her in the full eventually, is it worth the effort of moving both the twin and the crib/toddler/full bed around?
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had DD in the converted crib and went to full. Absolutely no issues for us. She loves it. I lay her in the middle and she is fine. Loves her big bed. She sleeps like a rock though and doesn't move much. We have one side against a wall , which I think helps with security issues.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Your DD might just be imitating your actions. You should try the twin bed on the floor anyway just to see how she reacts to it.

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    DD is currently in a toddler bed/convertible crib. The past month or so, she has been getting up in the middle of the night and sleeping on the floor. (We usually have a pillow and blanket on the floor in her room. I lay on the floor until she falls asleep; it's what works for us.)

I am wondering if she wants more room, and that is why she is going to the floor. She sleeps like a windmill - all over the place.

Her crib goes from a toddler bed straight to a full size bed. We have a spare twin bed in the basement. Should we try that instead of purchasing a full bed. A full just seems too big for her right now!

We had this exact same issue. DD every night would make a little nest on the floor. DH was against going to the Full size option but I won and she has had it her "big girl bed" now for 2 months and hasn't slept on the floor once. DD was 2.5 when we switched.
    DSD - 4/98
    DS - 3/01
    DD - 4/08

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you have the room to go right to the full, I wouldn't hesitate to do so, personally. I just wouldn't worry about it being too big.