Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default So Mad I Could Spit...Need Some Advice

I mentioned before that my Ford Windstar minivan has been recalled, not once, but twice, and has been sitting on a Ford dealership car lot since mid-October. I have heard absolutely nothing from Ford since October, except for the second recall letter.

This morning, while sitting in the waiting room for my OBGYN appt. (fun stuff already), I get a call from the dealership informing me that my van is going to be ready to be picked up at 5 pm this afternoon. They replaced the rear axle (it was irrepairable) and the front subframe (second recall, similar issue) was corroded and needs to be reinforced, but I'll have to bring it back in at a later date (when parts are available) to be reinforced.

Well, besides the first obvious issue that I have no confidence in my van anymore because I'll be driving it with damage until I can get it fixed, I told the service manager that I couldn't pick up the van today because I am booked solid through the evening (buying a used car for DH...great timing) and I could pick it up tomorrow morning.

The service manager informed me that that was fine, but Ford would not cover the rental car after today! I told him that was absolutely unacceptable because I hadn't even had 24 hours notice to come pick up the vehicle and that I would absolutely not pay any rental fees because this was ridiculous. He wouldn't budge, but told me I could call Ford.

I called Ford after my doctor's appt., and got absolutely nowhere. They talked with the dealership and said there was nothing they could do...I'd have to pay the $40 rental fee if I didn't pick up the van today. I told them again that this was absolutely not acceptable and that I couldn't believe they would treat a customer, who has been exceptionally patient SINCE OCTOBER, this way and that they needed to make this right. They wouldn't budge.

I have never been so angry with a customer service issue before. I cannot believe that a company as old as Ford would quibble of $40 after all the inconvenience they have caused me and my family. I had to fight to get a decent rental vehicle that would fit our family and now this.

I was in tears by the end of the conversation, and that is something I NEVER do. Ford is trying to blame the dealership over not giving me sufficient notice (which is true) and the dealership is claiming Ford won't pay, and I'm stuck in the middle with nowhere to turn...but I am NOT paying for this rental. I just don't know what to do. I seriously can't get there today. It won't be ready, even if I could be, and I really don't have the time. I would have to clean the rental, uninstall, then reinstall two carseats (with my 19 month old with me) and there just isn't any way to do the other things that absolutely have to be done today done.

Do I have any recourse here? This can't be okay. I will never deal with Ford again after this, and I can't imagine treating customers this way. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I can call to make this right, or is there anything that can be done?

I'm sorry to vent all this here, but I am so upset and I think this just the straw that finally broke this very stressed camel's back today.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh jease! What a bummer, and isn't your DH getting a new car today (or am I confusing you with someone else?)? I can't really help as I haven't had to deal with your situation before, but good luck.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Keep calling Ford and asking to speak to someone higher up. Eventually you'll find someone to ok this, I think!

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Oh jease! What a bummer, and isn't your DH getting a new car today (or am I confusing you with someone else?)? I can't really help as I haven't had to deal with your situation before, but good luck.
    Yes, Dh is getting a new (used) car tonight, which is part of why we can't get the van today....tons of stuff to do before then, and then the actual paper signing, trade-in, etc....It's really bad timing all the way around.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Keep calling Ford and asking to speak to someone higher up. Eventually you'll find someone to ok this, I think!

Beth
    I would never have thought they'd quibble over this. I did ask to speak to someone higher up, but the lady kept saying there was no one else. Yeah right! I think I'm going to have to do some more calling, like you said.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Call the car rental company. Your rental might be covered until tomorrow morning or whatever time you picked up the rental anyway. They usually run them that the day starts and end at the time of pick up, so if you picked up the car at 11am then you would have until 11 am to return it. Ford should be covering this but this might be an easier/ less stressful solution for you.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    I would never have thought they'd quibble over this. I did ask to speak to someone higher up, but the lady kept saying there was no one else. Yeah right! I think I'm going to have to do some more calling, like you said.
    yeah, i'm sure she has a boss! so sorry you are going thru this. you have been so patient!

eta. i think i read this somewhere here: when you hit a wall in customer service, etc, ask that person what they would do if they were in your shoes. they may have a bit of information you dont.
    Last edited by mezzona; 02-28-2011 at 01:32 PM.

momm is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow - I am sorry

I would ask to speak to the manager of the guy you were talking to at Ford - they can't do that to you

----------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest you call your local TV station's and/or newspaper's consumer affairs reporter. Talk to them about it, get their advice, and then call Ford and the dealership again. Tell them who you talked to and that you posted this on your social networking sites as well as a bulletin board.

You have to fight this with fire.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeah, I don't think you should be sorry you're posting this here, and frankly you should post the dealerships' name and service manager's email. Might not hurt to have their name dragged through the mud online.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast