Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Extended BF- when did AF come back?

This is sort of freaking me out by OB and PCP seem to think it is normal. I have not had AF since DS was born- so over 2 1/2 years! I have been taking mini-pill since 6 weeks out. He does still breastfeed but usually only in evening and a.m. during the week, a little bit more on weekends. I stopped pumping at 11 months. Prior I did have a light, short cycle. I had no trouble TTC but I am wondering if this will be a problem when TTC #2- will go off mini pill.
    DS 6/09

With DD, 17 months.
    With DS, 15 months (after an overnight road trip caused us to not nurse at all overnight).

I wasn't on the mini pill, or any hormonal birth control either time.

ETA: Both kids continued nursing for a long time after AF came back, so for me, AF did not equal weaning.
    Last edited by MommyAllison; 03-21-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With DD, AF came back at 18 months post-partum. I was no longer pumping for work and DD was down to nursing twice a day. As of today, AF has returned after a hiatus of 39 months. I cut DS off from nursing just last month, he needed to be done.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1- mini pill, bf till 19m but AF returned at 10m
    Ds2- copper IUD, bf till 17m, AF returned at 10m

Beth

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

All 3 of my kids it came back around 13 months, no pill. I will say, though back when I was on the pill (loestrin, so a low dose) I never got AF...maybe it it from the pill not the nursing that you don't have it back?! Yeah!
    chays

DS1 2003
    DD 2006
    DS2 2009

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

AF came back exactly 4 weeks after I weaned DD#1 at 12m. With DD#2, it came back 4 weeks after I almost-fully weaned (down to 2x day) at 12m. I nursed her until 17m.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm so jealous of y'all! My DD is 10.5 months old right now, almost exclusively breastfed (never had formula, the "almost" exclusively breastfed part is because she probably gets about 5% of her nutrition from solids at this point), and wakes up an average of 2-3 x night to nurse: AF started again for me at about 7 months. Lame!

ETA: No pill or other hormonal medications.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    I'm so jealous of y'all! My DD is 10.5 months old right now, almost exclusively breastfed (never had formula, the "almost" exclusively breastfed part is because she probably gets about 5% of her nutrition from solids at this point), and wakes up an average of 2-3 x night to nurse: AF started again for me at about 7 months. Lame!

ETA: No pill or other hormonal medications.
    I am still bf my 2 year old, and that little guy nursed every 3 hours for the longest time (well past 1 year) but AF came back after 7 months!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For sure I thought I'd get a free ride for exclusively nursing twins...I nursed mine 18 months and AF returned at 8 months!

Talk to your doc - it could be as easy as a progesterone shot (I think) to jump-start your cycle.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS--6 months, the day after I gave him a bottle, grrrr, nursed for 3 years
    DD--the next month after giving birth. I was nursing, pumping, and supplementing, but apparently not pumping enough (wasn't good about doing it), so AF came back right away! Bummer! Nursed her for 2 years.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast