Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about hair removal

What do you shave?
    What do you wax? And how often?
    Have you gotten [semi?] permanent hair removal? Was it worth it?
    Tell me about your other methods, too!

Spring is coming, and I'm *so* dreading having to shave every other day (I can get away with much less in the winter!). I also think pregnancy has given me some uh... upper lip hair How do I get rid of it?!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wax the upper lip hair, have the brows threaded (when I can get to a salon that offers it) and deal with shaving.

For "special occasions", I've gotten waxed (legs, forearms & underarms) but I don't feel that it's the best course of hair removal for my legs, which are long and chunky. (You could describe my lower body as "Reubenesque" - full, chunky and squishy.)

I've shaved beyond the bikini line, occasionally removing all hair because the weather was hot or the SO at the time liked it or whatever, but I have no interest in doing that again because the ingrowns I get from regrowth are just nasty.

I've tried depilatory creams like Nair, Veet and Neet but I am violently allergic to them (I break out in painful hives) and they smell like rotten eggs to boot.

I had an epilator but it hurt too much for me to be consistent about using it.

And, yes, I've considered laser hair removal, but it's not in the budget right now.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have pale Irish skin and dark Italian hair. I've dealt with unwanted hair for-ev-er!! The current breakdown:

Shave: Legs, pits, top of feet/toes. (DH claims I have "Hobbit Feet." NICE.)

Wax: I do my own eyebrows, about every other week. Or when I notice how badly I need to wax them. (ETA, I also do some tweezing cleanup in between waxes.) I go in for a bikini wax. Very infrequently in the winter, about once every 3 weeks or so in summer. Kinda depends on what activities I'm doing - lots of pool/beach means more often.

Other: I currently have my upper lip and chin lasered. I used to wax my upper lip myself. Got sick of it, wanted more long term solution. I need to go in for another round. But I do love how long the lasering lasts.

If you're considering laser, definitely watch Groupon. I have seen two really good deals lately at real places with real doctors. (EX: 3 sessions for $119, usually I was paying alot more than that for ONE session.) I am considering having my bikini line done. A friend had her underarms and bikini done and LOVES it.

Oddly, I think my hair is growing faster now. I feel like I need to shave my legs every other day - which I NEVER do in winter. But I shave then it's beyond stubble already on day 2. Also lip seems to be growing in heavier. I think I am starting pre-menopause as my period has also been messed up lately. Good times.
    Last edited by Twoboos; 03-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I get the eyebrows and upper lips threaded at places that offer them. I have sparse eyebrows and only threading gives a good shape.

My skin does not do well with shaving nowadays, razor bumps and ingrowns and what not. But I feel paying 70+ for waxing legs or arms and such a bit too pricey to have it grow back in a month or so. I have tried ethnic places that do wax for less but was really concerned about the quality of wax and hygiene.

I only trim down there, I shaved once and swore never again. I am too chicken to get a Brazilian or anything like that.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What's threading like? I've never had it done.

I see that some of you wax yourselves. I've always been afraid to do that. Is it difficult? Am I going to accidentally rip my face off?

eta - Also, with waxing, don't you have to wait until the hair is long enough to waxed again? So I have to let my eyebrows get all furry before I can do anything about it?
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Eyebrows - I tweeze every day. There is always something new appearing and it is truly my pet peeve.

Lip - wax myself or tweeze sometimes too.

Sideburns - in process of having laser treatments.

Bikini - wax for vacations, shave in summer

Legs, Arms, Pits - Shave
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

(DH claims I have "Hobbit Feet." NICE.)
    Are we married to the same man?

I shave only, for the same reasons (allergies to creams, pain and lack of patience with Epilady). I try to avoid shaving the bikini area because I get horrible ingrown hairs. Unfortunately I also have pale skin and dark hair, and it grows a couple of inches down my inner thighs, to boot. So if I want to wear a swimsuit or even some shorts, I have to shave pretty intensely. Fortunately I rarely wear either.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Are we married to the same man?

I shave only, for the same reasons (allergies to creams, pain and lack of patience with Epilady). I try to avoid shaving the bikini area because I get horrible ingrown hairs. Unfortunately I also have pale skin and dark hair, and it grows a couple of inches down my inner thighs, to boot. So if I want to wear a swimsuit or even some shorts, I have to shave pretty intensely. Fortunately I rarely wear either.
    That's why God made swim shorts! We go to the pool a couple of times a week, and I'd be covered with bumps and ingrowns, had it not been for shorts!

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I really hate having to do it, my hair is pretty thick and grows very fast.

I have to thread my upper/lower lip area every other week.

Shave pits at least once a month.

In the winter I shave but in the summer I wax legs and bikini area about every other month. I've only waxed once, more than the bikini area as I feel so shy to let someone do it.

For me hair grows back so fast when I shave so while painful I have to stick to waxing during the summer.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Eyebrows--used to tweeze myself, didn't have time anymore w/kids, so I go to Fantastic Sams and get them done for $10 every 3 weeks or so. It's hard to deal with the growth in between waxes, but so nice not to spend time tweezing. I do have to clean it up a bit myself at home. I would love to find a threading place. Thinking about electrolysis...

Upperlip--bleach myself on about the same schedule as eyebrow waxing. Would love to have it lasered.

Legs--shave nearly every day (less in winter)
    Underarms--shave, would love to get laser there
    Bikini--I do nothin, but am able to wear a regular swim suit wo/problems.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast