Our son's birthday is very close to Christmas, and I've always hated how busy that time of year is trying to arrange his party during a time when everyone's having holiday parties. I also regret that he only gets presents once a year, whereas DS1 gets birthdays twice a year (Christmas and May birthday). I also would like for him to be able to get more outdoor toys as gifts, which never happens in Dec. when we're snowed in.

So we've decided that starting this year, we're going to switch and make his birthday celebration in June. I'm going to ask grandparents to go along with it too. (We talked with DS and he likes our plan.) Because we just had a big 5th birthday party for him in Dec., we'll make this year's celebration low-key (just one friend over) and then will wait until next June to go more full-out with it.

Our plan is to just do cake and ice cream with our family on DS's real birthday in Dec. and perhaps one small gift and then do the same on my other son's half birthday in Nov. (so it's fair for both of them).

Have any of you tried to do this with your child? If so, how did it work out for you?