Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...-Families.aspx

Working AAP Link.

Healthy Children > Safety & Prevention > On The Go > Car Safety Seats: Information for Families for 2011
    Safety & Prevention-+
    Car Safety Seats: Information for Families for 2011

Infants and toddlers—rear-facing
    The AAP recommends that all infants should ride rear-facing starting with their first ride home from the hospital. All infants and toddlers should ride in a Rear-Facing Car Safety Seat until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat’s manufacturer.

Types of rear-facing car safety seats
    There are 3 types of rear-facing car safety seats: infant-only seats, convertible seats, and 3-in-1 seats. When children reach the highest weight or length allowed by the manufacturer of their infant-only seat, they should continue to ride rear-facing in a convertible seat or 3-in-1 seat.

Types of Car Safety Seats at a Glance
    Age Group Type Of Seat General Guidelines
    Infants/Toddlers Infant seats and rear-facing convertible seats All infants and toddlers should ride in a Rear-Facing Car Safety Seat until they are 2 years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat’s manufacturer.
    Toddlers/Preschoolers
    Convertible seats and forward-facing seats
    with harnesses All children 2 years or older, or those younger than 2 years who have outgrown the rear-facing weight or height limit for their car safety seat, should use a Forward-Facing Car Safety Seat with a harness for as long as possible, up to the highest weight or height allowed by their car safety seat’s manufacturer.
    School-aged children Booster seats All children whose weight or height is above the forward-facing limit for their car safety seat should use a Belt-Positioning Booster Seat until the vehicle seat belt fits properly, typically when they have reached 4 feet 9 inches in height and are between 8 and 12 years of age.

Older children Seat belts
    When children are old enough and large enough to use the vehicle seat belt alone, they should always use Lap and Shoulder Seat Belts for optimal protection.

All children younger than 13 years should be restrained in the Rear Seats of vehicles for optimal protection.
    Last edited by Joolsplus2; 03-21-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Know what's awesome? My MIL called to tell me about this because she saw it on the news. It is getting noticed.

Will it work? Probably as well as the aap recommendation of no tv til age 2. (In other words, not very well). But still, god news and I am glad word is getting out.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Know what's awesome? My MIL called to tell me about this because she saw it on the news. It is getting noticed.

Will it work? Probably as well as the aap recommendation of no tv til age 2. (In other words, not very well). But still, god news and I am glad word is getting out.
    No kidding, right? My expectations are that it will merely set the bar a little higher...right now, people turn their kids 'close enough' to 1 and 20, so there are plenty of 18 pound 10 month olds FF, but if they are 'close enough' to 2, that might mean kids get to RF to older than 1 (maybe not much older, but I'm still happy). (I think of it like the breastfeeding recs, lol... 6 months exclusively is ideal, but even one day is better than nothing )
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

On my FB too!

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Obviously, being a BBB mom, I was well familiar with the rear-facing issue, but if I weren't informed already, I think this recommendation from the AAP would give me pause as a parent in a way that a no TV recommendation wouldn't. So, here's hoping it does have an impact.

Very happy to see this on the Today show this morning!
    Mama to my sweet little girl - 12/2009
    ...and Baby #2 due early August 2012

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've seen this all over the news this morning.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

OKKiddo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yep, on our news station here in Kansas City area too!

http://www.kmbc.com/health/27258674/detail.html

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank goodness. Now if only I could find a way to anonymously slip this information to my friends and coworkers who turned their kids the moment they turned 1...
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kind of confused about the AAP recommendations being called 'new'. My pediatrician told me 2.5 years ago, when my son was born that the new recommendations were to rearface until 2 years old.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast