Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by m448 View Post
    Nationally recognized child expert aside you know the holding it together outside of home and loosing it at the end of the day in the safety of a parent is normal right? In fact, it usually leans towards one parent more than the other. Kids can't hold it together 24/7 as much as they might try (heck, most adults don't either) and they fall apart in an emotionally immature way at the end of the day.

LOL, I would feel a LOT better if it were just as you describe!

This behavior, though, happens all the time. On the weekends, in the mornings, etc. Although he may not realize the emotional impact of what he's doing, he's very cutting in ways you'd expect from a 16 year old.

We keep telling him (and telling him) that there are behavioral rules, that his behavior is inappropriate, and that he can't be with us if he behaves in these ways (and so has to stay in his room). We explain what he's doing, using personal stories and child-specific examples, but it is not taking.

*sigh* Even taking it one day at a time isn't helping me. I think I need help from someone just for me, as pp's have suggested.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by m448 View Post
    Nationally recognized child expert aside you know the holding it together outside of home and loosing it at the end of the day in the safety of a parent is normal right? In fact, it usually leans towards one parent more than the other. Kids can't hold it together 24/7 as much as they might try (heck, most adults don't either) and they fall apart in an emotionally immature way at the end of the day. He won't be like this when he's 42. I don't parents my kids today in fear that an age expected behavior at 2 will be some horrible personality dysfunction at 32.
    A big to this. ETA, sorry I just saw your response above, so disregard!

Also, IME, adjusting my expectations helps a lot. I find myself having hight expectations of what I think my kids should behave/be like, and sometimes I find that my expectations are beyond their abilities. I found myself in a similar situation recently with DD1. I was constantly frustrated and/or embarrassed by her behavior with/towards me. There were other issues involved -- she has ADHD and is on meds-- but even after dealing with the medical issues, we were relating to each other in a very confrontational manner. I recently reread a book that someone here recommended about her condition, and it really helped readjust my expectations, which in turn led to less confrontation and helped our relationship turn for the better.

Also, I agree with what others have said about 1 on 1 time. DD1 really craves this, more so than her other siblings, and it really helps a lot when we are able to provide it. In her case, she enjoys snuggling and reading with one parent, but it is the one on one special activities that she really craves.

As others have said, I think relationships go through phases, and you are obviously aware of it and willing to work on it, so you will get through this.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    This behavior, though, happens all the time. On the weekends, in the mornings, etc. Although he may not realize the emotional impact of what he's doing, he's very cutting in ways you'd expect from a 16 year old.

But you said he is well-behaved when not around you, right? This is completely normal (so I'm told). It shows strong attachment to you (yeah you -- trust me, I've rolled my eyeballs at that soooo many times).

My DD#1 is like you describe most of the time around me.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ThreeofUs (and others with spirited kids),

I just wanted to add that it is very impressive that you are parenting with love and dedication despite the lack of reciprocity and positive feedback. Parenting is HARD. My much younger child is uncannily good at reinforcing my behavior with compliments and affection galore - - and I still find maintaining the relationship through its ups and downs to be hard work. I mean there is a reason babies and kids are so cute - - evolutionarily, it is so we don't chuck them!! The fact that you are dealing with difficult, even miserable behavior and are still IN THE GAME speaks volumes of your parenting and character.
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

[QUOTE=sste;3081896]ThreeofUs (and others with spirited kids),

I just wanted to add that it is very impressive that you are parenting with love and dedication despite the lack of reciprocity and positive feedback. QUOTE]

Totally agree with this!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    I mean there is a reason babies and kids are so cute - - evolutionarily, it is so we don't chuck them!!
    I've said this a million times. And Cha Cha is living proof of this. He has chubby cheeks, a dimpled smile, and a cute little boy voice. And it has saved his mischievous, sneaky little butt many a time.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    It shows strong attachment to you (yeah you -- trust me, I've rolled my eyeballs at that soooo many times).

LOL. Thank you. That does make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    I mean there is a reason babies and kids are so cute - - evolutionarily, it is so we don't chuck them!! The fact that you are dealing with difficult, even miserable behavior and are still IN THE GAME speaks volumes of your parenting and character.
    And thank you very much for this, too.

I've often thought it's a good thing I know he's mine and that he's so dang cute! The trouble he causes me (including his Jackson Pollock episode in the dining room, lol!) makes me wonder why I come back for more.
    Last edited by ThreeofUs; 03-22-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4