Default anyone have problems with their Learning Resources cash register?

So we've had ours for a few years now, it was getting wonky so I thought it was just batteries. Well, tried new batteries and that didn't do the trick. Tried MORE new batteries and that didn't work either! It gives me the welcome message and lights up but when I push all the buttons, nothing happens. Tried the reset button too...so I figured it just died.

So cut to this past weekend, it's my DD's bday and I get her a new one. And THIS one is all wonky too! Tried the new batteries and it only gave me the welcome thing. I swear, I just bought the batteries at Target!

Has ANYONE else had issues like this? Do I just have two really weird registers?!?!

Thanks!

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We haven't had problems like you're describing, but I'm disappointed in the product for two reasons:

- I thought it would work like a regular calculator (which it looks like) but it doesn't. Sometimes it adds, sometimes it doesn't add when push the buttons. Add in other math functions and forget it - it won't do them. I've read the directions and DH read them and we're pretty sure it is not designed to work like a calculator. Kind of lame.

- It is supposed to identify coins, both real and the pretend ones it comes with. However, the pretend ones are just a TINY SMIDGE bigger than real coins. As a result, it can't correctly identify real coins. You put in a real quarter, it says "nickel!" and you put in a real nickel and it says "dime!" Crazy, right?

The kids do like to play with it, but I don't think it was worth the money.