mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default NHTSA Purchasing Used Car Seats for Testing Purposes

This email came across another list serve I'm on:

http://dotnet. dot.gov/newscent er/broadcast_ 040411.html

NHTSA is currently conducting an investigation of certain child safety seats manufactured by the Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) and would like to acquire sample seats for testing purposes. If you have one of these seats and would be willing to sell it or donate it, please contact NHTSA at the email address or phone number listed below. NHTSA is offering to pay the original retail cost of the seat.

The seats that NHTSA plans to test have a center front adjuster to the harness. NHTSA is testing these adjusters to determine whether the harness loosens or fails to close during use. The seats under investigation were manufactured between May 1, 2008 and April 30, 2009, and they are no longer available for retail sale. These seats were not included in DJG's recent recall.

NHTSA would like to acquire the following models of DJG seats: Designer 22; Scenera; Touriva; High Back Booster; Summit; and Apex 65. These seats were marketed under different brands that include Cosco, Safety 1st, and Eddie Bauer.

Each seat is required to have affixed to it a "Manufacturer' s Label" (see link). The label provides the manufacturer' s name (Dorel Juvenile Group), the date of manufacture, and the model number. Typically the label is on the side of the seat or near the base.

(see link for chart)

If you have one of these car seats and would be willing to sell it or donate it to NHTSA, please contact them via email at EA10005-ChildSeat @dot.gov or the Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236. You can also sign up for recall alerts via e-mail or RSS.

Please forward this message to anyone you think may be interested in helping NTHSA.

Thank you for your interest in child passenger safety, and any assistance you can provide.

Innnnteresting. Thanks for sharing this!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

The link doesn't work

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought for sure I had one of these. I have 3 Sceneras. In checking the dates though I realized one expires next week! The other is 11/09 date and the third is at my mom's in CO so not sure about it. I have a Wizard too expiring in July. Time to see what if anything needs to be replaced as they are all spares. Thanks for posting as I would have forgot about the one expiring next week.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcGwire View Post
    The link doesn't work
    Sorry. I just copied it out of the email on my other list serve and posted, but never bothered to check the link because I don't have one of those seats.