Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Honda Odyssey configuration for 3 car seats

I love my Odyssey so much, I'm actually a bit overwhelmed with the options I have for seating! I'm looking for suggestions on how to configure it when our new baby arrives next month.

I have a 3.5yo and 2yo, both in Radian80 carseats. The baby will be in a Peg Perego infant car seat.

I'm tempted to just put them 3-across in the second row so they're all within arm's reach if need be, but my husband thinks that's asking for problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy loading/unloading with 2 toddlers and an infant?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Remove a captain's chair. Put two kids in the back row and one in the other captain's chair. I wouldn't put them 3 across at that age - they will drive you (and each other) insane.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

When DD2 was still rear-facing we had the eldest in the third row with DD2 and DD3 in the second row. We had the captain's chairs separate (did not trust DD2 to be too close to the baby) and had DD1 climb under their car seats to get to hers or climb in through the trunk when we were able to put one of the third row seats down. Now that DD2 is forward-facing we have the two older ones in the third row with the two captain's chairs pushed together in the second row.

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lkarp View Post
    When DD2 was still rear-facing we had the eldest in the third row with DD2 and DD3 in the second row. We had the captain's chairs separate (did not trust DD2 to be too close to the baby) and had DD1 climb under their car seats to get to hers or climb in through the trunk when we were able to put one of the third row seats down. Now that DD2 is forward-facing we have the two older ones in the third row with the two captain's chairs pushed together in the second row.
    We tried this at the dealership with the Odyssey and it would not work. Is it something that worked with prior models of the Odyssey?
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    We tried this at the dealership with the Odyssey and it would not work. Is it something that worked with prior models of the Odyssey?
    The 2011 is a new design and it has 3 smaller chairs, instead of 2 regular chairs and a jump seat in the middle. I think you can just take out one chair and be good.

OP, I'd do 2 in the back and 1 in the middle. I'd think buckling the back row would be tough with 2 in the middle.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We had our 2Yo in the 2nd row rf next to the baby behind driver.3yo in back row with enough room to help her buckle. Middle seat came out of our 2009, but a dealer showed me how a seat comes out of the 2011 and both middle seats slide together toward the middle. Your big one could go way back behind driver seat .

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    We have a 2008 Touring, so it may be different from the newer models. Three full-sized seats in the second row would be wonderful!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    Remove a captain's chair. Put two kids in the back row and one in the other captain's chair. I wouldn't put them 3 across at that age - they will drive you (and each other) insane.
    I only have two kids and I have a captain's chair removed right now. DS1 is in a HBB in the 3rd row passenger side (with nothing in front of him) and DS2 is RF in a MA70 in the driver's side captain's chair. Makes life so much easier.
    Last edited by DebbieJ; 03-28-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Thanks everyone. I still have to buckle DS1 in so will need easy access to the third row. I like the idea of pushing the capt's chairs together to have an aisle to get by on the side, although I don't know if my 2010 model will do that. Will have to check.

I have a 2010 Odyssey.

My tentative plan when #3 arrives is to take out the plus one seat in the middle and move over the passenger captains chair to the middle. DD and DS1 will be in the middle (DS1 is 5 so he will probably be more help than a pain with the baby) and DS2 in the back on the passenger side. With the middle row seat pushed over, there is a clear path to the back to buckle in a child in the rear. We had that configuration last summer when we did lots of carpooling and it worked well. Did that make sense? If I have to rearrange, I will. I would love to get the baby on the driver's side, but DS1 is in a FR85 with a seatbelt install and that means the seatbelt would be in the middle of the walkway so we will probably put baby on the passenger side and DS1 behind the driver.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast