Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Thanks everyone. I still have to buckle DS1 in so will need easy access to the third row. I like the idea of pushing the capt's chairs together to have an aisle to get by on the side, although I don't know if my 2010 model will do that. Will have to check.

I have a 2010 Odyssey.

My tentative plan when #3 arrives is to take out the plus one seat in the middle and move over the passenger captains chair to the middle. DD and DS1 will be in the middle (DS1 is 5 so he will probably be more help than a pain with the baby) and DS2 in the back on the passenger side. With the middle row seat pushed over, there is a clear path to the back to buckle in a child in the rear. We had that configuration last summer when we did lots of carpooling and it worked well. Did that make sense? If I have to rearrange, I will. I would love to get the baby on the driver's side, but DS1 is in a FR85 with a seatbelt install and that means the seatbelt would be in the middle of the walkway so we will probably put baby on the passenger side and DS1 behind the driver.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

We took out the passenger side 2nd row seat. Originally when the baby first arrived, I had baby in the third row middle next to a Frontier (driver side). And in the second row driver side a Marathon rear facing. We usually buckled in the baby ahead of time and just dropped the bucket seat in.

Now we have one kid on each side in the third row, forward facing, and baby rear facing in the second row.

Having the space from removing the extra seat makes a huge difference. It is great for diaper changes, I have an extra piece of carpet on the floor. I usually just have everyone get in first, especially rainy days, and close the door. Then I can take my time to buckle each child in. I especially like this in crowded parking lots where people don't notice me and are not waiting for my space, I don't like the pressure.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ormc View Post
    Thanks everyone. I still have to buckle DS1 in so will need easy access to the third row. I like the idea of pushing the capt's chairs together to have an aisle to get by on the side, although I don't know if my 2010 model will do that. Will have to check.
    It may be like a mini-aisle since both seats push toward the middle, but the older vans pushed both seats toward the driver's side and left a wider aisle. Let us know how yours does it.

and to the PPer who said there's no 3 across in the middle...I did find once a list of seats that will work on the 2nd row middle seat of the Odyssey. I think they were:

Graco Snugride
    Britax Roundabout
    Sunshine Kids Radian
    maybe Parkway??? (can't totally remember this one, so maybe not)

but you get the idea...the smaller foot-print seats. I know I can get 3 across in the 3rd row using a Radian between two Marathons. I'm almost certain it would work for the 2nd row. Radians make it work everywhere.

rgors is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Seems like you already have a good headstart on your answer, but thought I would chime in since I am in your shoes.

My plan is that DC1, who will be 4 and is FF, will be 3rd row passenger side.

DC2, who will be 2 and will probably still be RF, will be 2nd row in the middle. His seatback, will be reclined all-the-way, so that he can easily see and talk to his older sister in the third row. My honda manual does not say the seatback has to be upright for a RF carseat, and I googled around and found a carseat tech photo with his child RF in a honda, with the seatback all the way reclined, and he said it was fine as long as your manual did not state otherwise for the seatback position (this might have been CPSDarren, not sure).

DC3, in the infant seat, will be 2nd row driver's side (easiest position for me to lift the bucket seat in and out of the car).

I have the 2011 Odyssey so I have to take out the 2nd row passenger captain's chair to do this. In my friend's 2008 Odyssey, you take out the middle chair and slide the passenger captain to the middle. Not sure how it works for a 2010 Odyssey, though I expect it would be like the 2008 since it's the same "generation"?

In the 2011, you can slide the 2nd row seats forward or backward independently -- not sure if that is true in the 2010. At any rate, I plan to slide the two rearfacing kids as far apart as possible. I don't quite trust DC2 to not poke at DC3!

My DC1 is very focused on wanting to be able to see both DC2 and DC3. With the flexibility to recline seatbacks as well as slide/stagger 2nd row seats, I should be able to figure out something that works.

I also had considerations of needing DC1 to be on the passenger side for her preschool dropoff lane. Finally, I sometimes transport a 4th kid, so putting 3 across in the third row wasn't a realistic option -- didn't want to stick the carpool kid in the last row all by herself.

IF you do 3 across, I'd consider installing a Safety 1st Go Hybrid as your carseat in one of the outboard positions for your oldest DC. The reason is because that seat is not a hard shell seat, so you can still fold an outboard seat forward for someone to get into the third row.

HTH

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have my two boys, in the back one by each window.

DD is in the captains chair behind the passenger seat. I removed the seat behind the drivers seat...so I can load the kids all on the same side as the driver. With the seat behind the driver's empty I can also load my groceries and what not easily. So I don't really ever use my trunk unless I need to get my stroller out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2