Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am so confused. Do kegels or not? I have incontinence since my last delivery, when I cough laugh, sneeze.

Also sorry to digress, but what is pelvic floor prolapse?
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks for the reminder, I'm sorry you're going through this. Interesting discussion on the value of Kegals.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    Otherwise you'll end up in PT for pelvic floor weakness like me and everyone there will say "oh you're too young to be this weak!" Gee, thanks!

KEGEL KEGEL KEGEL! Incorporate it into your daily activities and do them!
    I'm with ya sister, and I'm not even 30 yet!

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I am so confused. Do kegels or not? I have incontinence since my last delivery, when I cough laugh, sneeze.

Not a scientific answer, but basically, a weakened pelvic floor can lead to prolapse (falling down ) of the uterus, bladder, rectum, and other pelvic organs.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    There are lots of other exercises (i.e. squats) that help engage other muscles that assist the pelvic floor as well. I am learning and doing all of those in PT too.

Seems kegels are a debated topic out there.
    I just spent 4 months doing PT with a Women's Health PT for assorted pelvic issues after #4. She gave me lots of exercises to do, but warned me not to do kegels.

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post

There is a therapy place in Michigan that has a whole women's health specialty. They work with pelvic issues, painful pregnancies, and incontinence. You can find one in your area on the APTA website.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I just spent 4 months doing PT with a Women's Health PT for assorted pelvic issues after #4. She gave me lots of exercises to do, but warned me not to do kegels.
    Really? My PT was 3 years ago but pretty much all kegels and then some biofeedback stuff. But, the at home exercises were all kegels. What exercises did they suggest instead?

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Really? My PT was 3 years ago but pretty much all kegels and then some biofeedback stuff. But, the at home exercises were all kegels. What exercises did they suggest instead?

Beth
    I have a whole list that my PT gave me. I'll go find them after bedtime is over at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Beth

I finished my pelvic floor PT a month ago, and my therapist was VERY pro-kegals...

Had to laugh about the biofeedback. I would tell DD that I was playing a video game, and she always asked where the controller was. She wouldn't believe me when I told her my insides were the controller

Not too long ago, there was a thread in Healthy You about pelvic floor PT as well.

TMI Alert: For those who are dealing with some urine leakage or pelvic congestion, PT is soooo worth the momentary embarrassment! I no longer worry if everyone knows my "secret"--no more pads, no more drips, no more "do I smell/did I leak?" concerns when intimate times come up. Aaaahhhh, its almost like a whole new world opened up to me once I started PT!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I gotta know, how do they determine that your PF is weak?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast