Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default When is the keyfit 30 out grown and new seat recs?

DS is 22lbs and 15 months old in the Keyfit 30. His head is no where near the top of this seat. The top harness slot is below his shoulders but not by a ton. When does he need a new seat? Is it related to the harness height?

Also what should he be going into next? I plan to keep him rear facing and right now we have an expiring Boulevard which we like, but obviously needs to be replaced. For dd we have a Nautilus and a Recaro booster. She is 6. We have a new baby coming near the holidays so I figure the Keyfit can be handed down. What is the currently best rated rear facing after 20lbs convertible?

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Keyfit 30 is rated to 30 lbs and 30 inches, so he probably has a little while longer.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Wow, that baby must be all legs . Head no closer than 1 inch from the top of the seat is the rule...here's Leah at that size... https://picasaweb.google.com/joolsta...71597836312962
    I think the new Boulevard is a great seat, Marathon is, too, but if you already like the sleepable headwings of the BV you have, might as well go for the same thing. The new Britax 70's are good for 7 years, so this might even get you through the next/last(?) baby (Congratulations, by the way!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks. I guess that's about how he fits. It's the top of the head that should not be closer than an inch to the top of the seat? I'll check again when we got out today but I think he has plenty of room.
    Do you like the Boulevard/Britax over the Recaro covertible?
    Thanks!

Recaro's not so hot, IMO... particularly for rearfacing, the seat pan is super short, so you have to fold kids in half to squoosh them in to rearface as they get older, and the sides are really deep, so that's more climbing/lifting up and over to get in, and makes it hard to reach back and hand them things when RF. I see more kids go FF really young in that seat than any other seat. I LOVE their boosters, though. Go figure.
    Radian might be a good choice, come to think of it...do you have a minivan or large SUV to install it in?
    Julie

Default Carseat height/weight quest

I'm wondering the same thing. DS is 10 months, not even 17lbs and is 28.5 inches. Straps are on the middle slots and when we measured last week he had 1.5 inches f clearance from the top. But how is that right? I mean DS is a peanut and your sweet girl at 30inches still had room in there! We were going to get the britax boulevard but do u think we still have time?

Try moving the straps up and see if that changes how he looks? He should still be close enough to them to be considered 'at' the slots, they might be rather far below his shoulders now. Is the infant padding in the bum removed?
    And nah, that was it, she was done, at one inch from the top with no more room to grow, it was her last picture in that seat <sniff, I loved it so much>.
    Julie

I took the infant padding out when he hit 11lbs like the manual said. He is still on the middle strap because it is still hitting at or below his shoulders. The top ones are way above his shoulders

Glad to hear you followed the rules on the infant padding (you would not believe how many people I run into who think it's just a piddle pad and leave it in forever. Sigh). I guess there just must be a little more from the top of his head to the top of the seat, then... ?Hmmm... Maybe you can post a picture? Here's how I measured it with my fingers... https://picasaweb.google.com/joolsta...71524821868914
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Recaro's not so hot, IMO... particularly for rearfacing, the seat pan is super short, so you have to fold kids in half to squoosh them in to rearface as they get older, and the sides are really deep, so that's more climbing/lifting up and over to get in, and makes it hard to reach back and hand them things when RF. I see more kids go FF really young in that seat than any other seat. I LOVE their boosters, though. Go figure.
    Radian might be a good choice, come to think of it...do you have a minivan or large SUV to install it in?

Yup, a Sienna.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast