Default Mid-Priced Painted "Cottage" Furniture

Time for the "big girl bed" and all the furniture that will come with it. We'd like to go for a cottage look, such as you'd find in Maine Cottage Furniture. Not only has Maine Cottage just been bought by Russell & MacKenna, but their prices were just as high as Russell & MacKenna (and I assume they will be once they're rebranded). That's $2,000 for a twin-sized bed. Insane (IMO).

On the other side of the spectrum, we see lots of furniture by Young America, AP Industries, and others that just seems badly made and cheap.

A final complicating factor: I'm hell-bent on finding a bed WITHOUT a footboard. Tucking in covers into a footboard for the next 15 years is not going to happen!

So: Here's the question -- Can I find decently made "cottage" style furniture that is decent quality, beautiful, painted, with a non-footboard bed that will NOT cost me an arm and a leg? I'm thinking anywhere from $600-$1000 would be reasonable for a bed, if that helps. Looking into Relics furniture to see whether they have styles without footboards that could work. Other suggestions?
    Mom to: Rachel, born 5/24/04
    Sarah, born 7/12/08

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure you can use the Young America headboards with a regular bedframe, at least that's what their cust. service agent told me before we bought our beds from them. We've been pretty happy with their furniture and the customer service from the company. The options are endless with paint and styles if you look on their website. I'm not familiar with the 2 brands you mention, so I can't compare them to the furniture that we've had and loved for 5 years.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ll bean? i know they have nice, less expensive cottage-y stuff, but i'm not sure if they have what you want.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06