Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Updated with what I bought: I'm stuck for a gift for DS1

DS1 turns 7 on Saturday. I want to have 1 more gift for him, but am just stuck.

Here's what he's getting so far:

From parents and siblings:
    Lego Power Miners Claw Catcher
    Lego Train Station
    Elenco 200 in 1 electronic lab

From others:
    Hexbug raceway
    Magic Trick and hat
    books about presidents and states
    backgammon game

I don't have any very good ideas that aren't already taken. My grandma thought of the magic trick and so I don't want to do that too, even though I know he'd like another trick.

I'm thinking about Squap, but wonder if that'll lose it's interest quickly. Or, I can get a couple Geronimo Stilton books, but it's so much nicer getting them from the library. Or...??

His favorite gifts in the past are things like Snap Circuits, a digital recorder, a camera, 1 person games (but has a lot), magnatiles.

Any great ideas? I'm open on price, but it needs to come from Meijer, Target, TRU, or a local toy store, since I need to get it tomorrow. Our local store carries a good variety of things, so it might work.
    Last edited by KrisM; 04-29-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Kris

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Any magazine subscriptions he might like? You could go to a bookstore and buy a copy to wrap. Music CDs?
    K

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

summer is coming... anything "Outdoorsy" he might like? Do you have a slip n slide? a cool tent (even if it's just for the backyard), Supersoaker,

Is he into any sports?

do you own Bop It? Or Hyper Dash?

Bike

Razor Scooter

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I see he is into legos. Do they still make erector sets? Any other building set? A book on legos? I know I have seen the history of legos that looked neat.

What about the Harry potter Lego sets with the books/movie?

Fishing pole and tackle?

My nephew is into magic tricks as well. I got him an oragami kit for his stocking at Christmas and it was a hit. I know b&n carries it.

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My sons are younger, but a local toy store owner suggested some Engino toys to us. This week we bought the Engino 20 Models Engineering Set, but haven't had a chance to build with it yet. It is like Legos, but the pieces snap together so the creations don't fall apart as easily. That said they are also more complicated to build. I believe all of the 10+ Model sets have motors that come with them. The Robotime Dinosaurs were also suggested to us, as a family type project. Both were at our local toy store, but I don't think sold at TRU.

Rocket Balloons?

ETA: Pirates of the Caribbean Legos just recently came out.
    Last edited by baileygirl; 04-29-2011 at 02:38 AM.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

An inexpensive multimeter of his very own?

One of the cool add-on sets for his snap circuits?

Michaels has some cool science type projects that might go along with the electronics theme.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    summer is coming... anything "Outdoorsy" he might like? Do you have a slip n slide? a cool tent (even if it's just for the backyard), Supersoaker,

Is he into any sports?

do you own Bop It? Or Hyper Dash?

Bike

Razor Scooter
    We have all those toys, but outdoor stuff would be a great idea. I have a castor board that I got on clearance, but I think he needs to be at least 8, so I'm holding off on that.

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    I see he is into legos. Do they still make erector sets? Any other building set? A book on legos? I know I have seen the history of legos that looked neat.

What about the Harry potter Lego sets with the books/movie?

Fishing pole and tackle?

My nephew is into magic tricks as well. I got him an oragami kit for his stocking at Christmas and it was a hit. I know b&n carries it.
    A Lego book might work. I think I have time to hit a bookstore today and I'll add that to the list. Thanks!

I don't think he's ready to read the Harry Potter books and I'm saving those for us to read together (not aloud, but at the same time). Otherwise, a great idea.

He'd love the fishing pole. I'll have to think about whether that's doable. We are 100 yards from a lake and a dock and kids do fish there, but I'm not sure I'm ready to send him down there himself and I don't know if I can manage the other 2. Great idea though.

I actually have a Klutz Origami book put away and wondered if it would be good or if he's too young. He has a paper airplane book that he enjoys, but still struggles a bit with the folding.

Quote Originally Posted by baileygirl View Post
    My sons are younger, but a local toy store owner suggested some Engino toys to us. This week we bought the Engino 20 Models Engineering Set, but haven't had a chance to build with it yet. It is like Legos, but the pieces snap together so the creations don't fall apart as easily. That said they are also more complicated to build. I believe all of the 10+ Model sets have motors that come with them. The Robotime Dinosaurs were also suggested to us, as a family type project. Both were at our local toy store, but I don't think sold at TRU.

Rocket Balloons?

ETA: Pirates of the Caribbean Legos just recently came out.
    Those Engino sets look neat. I feel like I've seen them at our store as well. I'll look into those.

He loves our rocket balloons

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    An inexpensive multimeter of his very own?

One of the cool add-on sets for his snap circuits?

Michaels has some cool science type projects that might go along with the electronics theme.
    He has a multimeter to go with his box of resistors . My dad had an extra and passed it on to him. I'll check out Michaels.

Thanks all. Off to Amazon to figure out if anything is doable at the last minute!
    Kris

I went to our local toy store and found a couple maybes. My favorite is the gyroscope.

Then, I had lunch with him at school and asked him again what he wanted. His answer "Chinese things, magic tricks, and math workbooks". So, I think I'll get him a workbook and put the Origami book with it.
    Kris

Default Ideas

I have a 7 year old, here are some treasures:
    Ball glove
    set of bases
    Glow in the Dark Basketball (KMart or Target)
    Glow in the Dark Football
    Twister Game
    World Record Type books
    Lego Creationary Game
    Baseball Cards/Baseball Card Book
    Anything with a sport team logo on it
    Gift Cards
    $ - fyi seven singles has more value to a 7 year old than a $20 bill - go figure
    Kids Sports Illustrated

More - He wants the Science Experiement Set at the toystore, and a Grow your Own Crystal Set. We have the M&D starter magic set, and got a bunch of little tricks from the Easter Bunny. Mindware.com is a Great resource for math and science books, their Extreme Dot To Dot's are my son't go to when he is bored as well as his Paula Dean Cookbooks (PRICELESS!!!! Cooking is fun science.)
    Lego Magazine
    Kaskey Kids Guys - we have all sports they make
    Stomp Rockets
    Milkshake maker
    Sigg Pirate Water Bottle

Hope this helps! Have fun celebrating
    Last edited by Jen841; 04-29-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Additions

Thanks for the additional ideas. We have some things, and he's not that into sports at this point. Bases for the yard might have worked, but too late now .

What milkshake maker? He'd probably like that a lot.

I ended up getting a couple books. I'll package together: Everything Kids Puzzle Book, Klutz Origami, a math workbook, and a Geronimo Stilton book. I think he'll be excited about that.
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast