Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Would You Be Concerned?

Today it was warm enough that I needed to pull out the shorts for Ds (almost 22 months old). I had bought a bunch of shorts through the spring, in sizes 18-24 mo. and a couple of 24 mo. sizes in the brands that typically run a bit smaller (like Jumping Beans). He's been wearing 12-18 mo. size jeans from Old Navy, but they were getting a bit short (just barely), so I got him the same style, but 18-24 mo. They wouldn't stay on, but then I noticed that they were adjustable, so they will work.

Back to the shorts...Ds has been in 12-18 mo. size clothes from Gymbo since this winter. So I put a pair of 18-24 mo. size shorts on him and they literally fell off. He is so skinny and tiny. Since I didn't have anything else smaller for this summer and since it was 85 degrees, I tried a pair of 12 mo. shorts from last summer on him and they fit just fine, both in length and around his waist.

The kid eats a wide variety of stuff and is pretty active....would you be concerned that he hasn't gained enough weight to since last summer to outgrow his clothes?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 8.5 and can still wear age 4 stretchy shorts
    If he is growing taller and if his check ups show he's healthy, I wouldn't worry.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, since my DD wore size 12 months for over a year, I would have to say I wouldn't be concerned.

Shorts are different from pants. They usually can be worn for two (or even more) seasons. My DS, who is almost 7, has been wearing the same shorts for 3 years now. He outgrows his pants every year in height, but for shorts the length usually doesn't matter. So we keep using them.

Also, at this age many babies do start to "thin out" a bit. So clothes fit differently and can last longer.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No I wouldn't because IME, some Gymbo runs HUGE! Seriously, my DD is a solid 4 in most things, but she still has 3 shirts and a dress that are size 2T from Gymbo. Some of their lines just run big, especially those knit shirts (for girls, maybe they have them for boys too). So no, based on your description, I would not be worried in the least!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am not buying any new shorts for my DS this year he will wear last years shorts - I can't wait till he can wear them everyday as his 18 month long pants are too short & any 24 month or 2T pants fall off of him! I think they will be too short for him next year - I hope I can find adjustable waist pants that are long enough in the fall!
    DS 2/09

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No, I wouldn't be concerned. My DS is about the same age, and in similar pants sizes. He is small in the waist too. I bought him shorts in 18-24 mo. from ON, Kohl's & Target. The ON & Kohl's stuff fits fine, but the 18 mo. Osh Kosh brand shorts from Target fell off of him. Plus, I think Gymbo clothes run big. It just depends on the brand. DS could probably still wear some of the 12 mo. size clothes he had last year, but I know that he has grown since then! He is always right on track for growth at his ped. checkups-- he's just on the small end of the spectrum.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids has been in clothes for 3 seasons, simply because I buy big.

I remember still fitting into a pair of size 4 shorts when I was 8 (and I was always a "good" eater and healthy).

That said, I can look back at DS1's growth charts and see (guess) when the celiac was triggered. If you have concerns, talk to your ped. In my son's case, he went from 2+ years of being 90th percentile in height and weight to 50th in height and 25th in weight.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My kids routinely wear the same shorts for multiple years. DS1 is 7 and accidently put on DS2's size 3T shorts the other day. They were snug and really short, but they went on.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You can worry, but it is what it is. My 3.5 yo DS1 is wearing the 18m and HA 90 shorts I predicted DS2 (same age as yours) would be wearing this year. He accidentally wore the 80's one day and got away with it fine. I'd just go with whatever fits. The ones that fall off and need to be held up for running are just no fun. My DS looked ridiculous grabbing his waistband and running crooked all last summer because the shorts I had for him were too big.

I know I probably worry too much. Ds has always been barely on the charts. I know he "runs" small. I guess I was just surprised at how long he's been in this size.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast