Default The Portable Baby Wrap - Anyone tried it?

I'm due in mid-July with #2. DD1 is 5-1/2 and with her, I used the Baby Bjorn until she got too heavy, and discovered the ERGO (and fell in love). But now we're living on the gulf coast of AL (i.e. very hot & humid), so I'm looking for something pretty lightweight. I read some of the suggestions on a previous post, and while looking up some of the different types of carriers, stumbled upon The Portable Baby website, and saw their wrap. I'm sort of intrigued by it because the price point is a little better than most. Does anyone know anything about it? The only reviews I could find online seem to come from the very same person (with a newborn in Phoenix).

As previously mentioned, I don't have any prior experience with wraps/slings...I'm hot natured anyway, so I want something where the baby & I won't be sweating to death (I still have my ERGO, but even with the infant insert, I think it'll be too heavy for summer wear).

Thanks so much!

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I haven't tried it, but it does sound similar to a moby. I'd go for a wrapsody wrap (and you can find lots of reviews for it on thebabywearer).

As for as the heat goes, it is hotter to have the baby in a wrap, or sling, or does it make a difference? I know it's going to be warm either way...

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yeah, it is warm to have a hot little body pressed up to yours, but that was the only way DS would let me get things done! The type of carrier can make a big difference. A thick wool wrap is perfect for the snow, but way too much for the summer. A lightweight woven, like the wrapsody, or some of the german-style wraps, are shorter than the moby, and you wrap the carrier around you in a different way, using less layers of fabric around you and the baby.

Linen ring slings are cool, and only use one layer of fabric around you and the baby. Personally, I don't do so well with the one shoulder carry, so the wrap works best for me with a new baby. SleepingBaby has reasonably priced rs, and lots of positive reviews, but I like the lightly padded shoulder of Maya rs better (also lots of good reviews).

For a structured carrier (my preference for an older baby), I LOVE carriers with a solarveil panel. It's still hot with the baby pressed to your body, but I think it helps to keep the baby cooler. Ergo does have a version with mesh, which you may want to look at (I haven't seen one IRL yet).

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My personal experience is that a wrap is warmer than a sling. But I prefer a pouch sling (specifically SlingLings brand) over a ring sling, so there is really no extra fabric.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011