Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Smile Cross-cultural baby wearing moment.

I had a nice experience this weekend that not many people IRL would appreciate:

I was leaving our Thai food place with my takeout and spotted this beautiful woman who had a baby on her back. She had a couple older kids trotting along beside. I'd never seen a wrap done that way - it was kind of like a tube top, with nothing over her shoulders. And it was a fantastic print fabric.

She passed close by me, so, in keeping with the sorority/fraternity of babywearers I said: "Wow, that's a beautiful wrap!"

She stopped, startled, and replied in a language I didn't recognize! The mom was a black woman and I'd assumed she was your typical American - but I now guess she probably came her recently from Africa. (Going from the style, print of her wrap and general dress. I didn't recognize her language.) I don't think she had a clue what I'd just said!

So, a hilarious gestural conversation ensued. Would've been a whole lot easier to explain if I'd been wearing Sprog at the time, but she was home with daddy. My new friend probably still thought I was a nutty American (and she's correct) but I think she understood my compliment in the end. We giggled at the silly situation.

Just needed to share because this made me happy.
    Last edited by Uno-Mom; 06-06-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Cool story! I wonder how that carrier works!

I've seen many Chinese grandmas around here carrying babies in a home-made mei tai. I always chuckle to think how much the rest of us spend on carriers that are made of any available length of fabric in most parts of the world.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    I'd never seen a wrap done that way - it was kind of like a tube top, with nothing over her shoulders.
    That's the way it's done in Madagascar and many parts of E. Africa, I believe. I've tried it but never was able to feel like it was secure enough.
    Cheri

Mommy to...
    DD1 6/2/04
    DS 3/9/07
    and finally welcomed DD2 on 8/25/2011!

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I believe it's called a kanga wrap. It's a torso carry, and a nice change up if your shoulders are sore.

elektra is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They do it that way in Mexico too, per DH's grandmother- where it's just wrapped around your middle like that. I think she called it a rebozo or something like that. She also thinks we are funny for wanting to wear the baby when we have a perfectly nice stroller to push them in! Something she didn't have the option of doing.
    (She also thinks we are ridiculous for camping too, when we have a perfectly nice house! I guess she used to live in a tent at one point. )
    DD
    DS

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Interesting how perspectives vary culturally.

I bet one reason why certain techniques feel ill-fitting to us is that most of us use manufactured products that are sort of one-size-fits-most instead of just whipping them up our own at home. If we were used to making them at home, we'd naturally fit them to our bodies perfectly.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009