Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beco Gemini or Pikkolo?

DH and I are looking into baby carriers...we would like to have the option for baby to fact outward I think. DH has a bad back, so I would like to find something both of us can use (neither one of us is petite, I am 5'7'', he is 6'3'')...I have looked at Beco Gemini and Pikkolo...would love any input/advice is greatly appreciated...Thanks!

I have a gemini that I almost love. The only thing I don't love about it is putting it on/taking it off, i.e I have trouble finding the straps once I've put them over my shoulder to attach, if that makes any sense. If I could figure out an easier way to do that I'd love love love it. This is the only SSC I've used so I don't know if the Pikkolo would be easier to put on.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you get the Pikkolo, will you be getting the support belt as well?

The Gemini has a built-in support belt that helps redistribute Baby's weight to your hips, so it will be easier to use with a bigger baby without adding an extra piece to your overall costs.

As for the face-in/face-out in a front carry ... some kids find the facing-out is a bit overstimulating and get fussy while being worn in that position. But, of course, that will depend on your kid! (My DD, for example, probably would have LOVED the facing-out position, but the Gemini wasn't out before she arrived and I didn't like what I'd read about facing-out carries to begin with, so I opted for the ErgoBaby carrier. Now that we're at the back carry phase, I don't know that I missed anything!)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Yes, definitely will get support belt for the pikkolo if we go that route!
    I think it will be necessary for our backs!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Love love love my Pikkolo. I've been wearing it since DD was 4 or 5 weeks and now she's 13 months and still in it. frogmama.com will throw in the waist strap at a discount or free - you need it once the baby hits 18 lbs or so. If you're sharing a carrier, it's easiest if both spouses are similar in build. My DH is 7 inches taller than me and 10 inches broader in the chest, and the constant adjusting of straps is what prompted me to get a Pikkolo while DH uses his Ergo!

for Sandy Hook

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

another pikkolo lover here. love how it's lightweight. and yeah support belt is great. got mine from naturalmomgear.com. i used it with my DS and now am using with my 3mo dd. it's pretty easy to put on IMO.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ms. P - are the straps backpack style for the front carries or do they crisscross in the back?

That would be the final sell for me when comparing this carrier (with a support belt) to a Gemini, which is also lightweight and easy to use, but the straps crisscross in back when doing front carries.

(I think I'd still go with the Gemini, personally, since I would be too afraid of misplacing the support belt for a Pikkolo! I mean, I thought I'd lost my hip belt extender for the Ergo for several MONTHS until I found it in my DD's closet, so even that was nerve-wracking.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    (I think I'd still go with the Gemini, personally, since I would be too afraid of misplacing the support belt for a Pikkolo! I mean, I thought I'd lost my hip belt extender for the Ergo for several MONTHS until I found it in my DD's closet, so even that was nerve-wracking.)
    When you attach the support belt you leave it on - it's easier to have it one way or the other. I've been belt-free till now (DD is 18 lbs) but am going to add one on and not take it off.

Another plus about Pikkolo - it is one of the only carriers where the baby can face out in a front carry, Bjorn style. I didn't do this much, bc outward facing isn't so great for babies or mama's back, but it was nice to be able to do a few times when DD wanted to look around at things at the aquarium and zoo.

for Sandy Hook

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Ms. P - are the straps backpack style for the front carries or do they crisscross in the back?

That would be the final sell for me when comparing this carrier (with a support belt) to a Gemini, which is also lightweight and easy to use, but the straps crisscross in back when doing front carries.
    hm, well i criss-cross them. but i think you don't necessarily have to (i *think*?). i think it recommends to criss cross them to distribute the weight evenly

and i agree with citymama, you can't really lose the support belt, once you attach it, it's on for good until you decide to take it off. i got mine when DS was 5months old and i used the support belt with it from the get-go and it's never been taken off.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DS loved facing out so I liked the Pikkolo a lot.

The Pikkolo straps can be either criscrossed or backpack style. Usually when wearing it on the front I criscross on the back. When wearing baby on the back I use it backpack style (otherwise my boobs would be in the way). Its easy to get on either way, and also the straps are slimmer than the ergo so more comfortable for me.

I ended up also getting a Beco Butterfly because I liked the "pouch like" holder better for getting DS into a back carry. DH uses the Pikkolo on his back, but I just didn't get comfortable with it and found a great deal on a Beco. I also like the Beco Butterfly infant pouch for a littler baby, so I expect to use it for DC2 earlier than the Pikkolo. Not sure if the Gemini has the same holder as the Butterfly, but that may be a plus. On the other hand the Beco straps are more complicated, the Pikkolo is super simple to figure out. We didn't add the waist strap until he was over a year old.

My DH and I are very different sizes and we trade carriers back and forth. Sharing shouldn't be much of an issue with either of them, but probably easier with the Pikkolo just because there are fewer straps to adjust.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast