Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Are you a worrier?

I'm beginning to think I'm a worrier...to the extreme. I know I come from a family of worriers, my mom and my aunt are crazy worriers and would go sleepless when they have something on their minds.

I'm realizing that I am the same way. Worrying about everything...even if it's out of my control. If someone mentions something, I will start to wonder if I should be concerned and it will start to bother me a bit.

Lately, with DH interviewing for a job new and moving along the process of getting into that job I worry about every step. It is a civil service job in a school district so there are more steps than a typical job, interview, civil service exam, drug test and background check (though this is not an issue), physical, fingerprinting and etc. I been worried about him getting to the next step each time. Some things I worry more than others...find myself sleepless and obsessing.

Maybe it's because DH really would love this new job that I worry about him not getting it, but now that he is 95% through why do I still worry. My aunt, my closest confidant, told me to chill...and coming from her I take it as "Man I thought I was bad...you need to take a chill pill."

Is anyone else like this? DH on the other hand is basically happy go lucky...whatever happens happens and can sleep like a baby regardless of most situations.

Not that my kids are into sports yet, but I even worry about them being in sports because lately I've heard of kids in the news who get hit with a ball just right and have died or had their heart stopped (but lived due to a AED being nearby)...I worry because all three have heart defects...so this hits home a bit...but I don't want to be paranoid. Thank goodness DH is the opposite of me so he keeps me in balance in a sense.

Not sure what I can to do to not be such a worrywart.
    Last edited by SpaceGal; 06-21-2011 at 11:39 AM.

I used to think I was a worrier, but not after coming here for two years! There are things that are so far off my radar that obsess over. Although I guess probably the opposite is also true, I may obsess over things others don't care about (chemical sunscreens, organic/local food).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do worry about some things, but I am able to control it and realize it when it becomes a problem. The key to coping with anxiety (and what you describe is really anxiety) is to realize that it IS in your control to switch your mind out of the worry mode.

I have, since I was an adult, been able to consciously stop the worrying when I realized that it was becoming obsessive or a problem or out of scale to the reality of the risk. But some people are not able to make that switch without outside help like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with a therapist and/or medication.

Anxiety can be truly debilitating. People who don't suffer from it have no idea how it can take over your life and deprive you of a lot of joy. I was able to just read books and work my way through things, but if your anxiety is more severe, I would really urge you to seek help.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

In a sense that I like to plan things in advance yes I tend to worry until I have all of the needed facts in front of me.

An example of this is DD1's school for the next year. I know that school will start on August 29th, I know we need to buy uniforms in July (uniform company said it's better than buying in August because of crowds), and I know that she'll need to be at school by 7:50 am each day and will stay in afterschool as late as 5:30. However it's the other unknowns like: who is the room parent (I volunteered)? what school supplies are needed, and where is my password and login for the website so I can get information like the school supply list, etc. kind of drive me nuts and I always think it's better to have this information out sooner than later. School just got out last Thursday so I am sure they are busy with end of the year stuff so I know it's reasonable to wait a few weeks, but really I think I just hate waiting.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, I am. I sometimes wonder if I'm actually at the point that Beth referenced about it being out of scale to the reality of the risk. At times I feel close, but not quite there. I've had intentions of doing something about it from time to time, then it abates, then it's back again. There are things that others around me worry about and I don't, and there are things I worry about that they don't. I just seem to have some things lately that I can't let go of, so I have to decide, I guess, what to do.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I come from a long long line of worriers....my mother still worries irrationally. My worry used to manifest in GI issues, and I finally had a gastroenterologist tell me when I was in college that I needed to figure out how to reduce my anxiety. Total wake up call for me. I worked on it in my 20's but since I got pregnant (at 35 yo), I have made a conscious effort to be zen (aka I used CBT techniques on myself). I really would like DD to grow up not seeing me worry like I saw my mom worry (this is in no way a judgement on others! Just my story.). It would be great if she could be more fancy-free than I was growing up.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Here is some info about anxiety with many good links: http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_..._treatment.htm
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Um, if you mean sometimes waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to shut off my mind, which is totally focused on things like Medicare not existing when I'm a senior and having no health insurance, then yes.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ok...I don't think I need help (yet). I can get my mind off things but in the moment things are happening it can be annoying. I will try to be more zen too just for the sake of my kids...I don't want them to think this is how we all have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I do worry about some things, but I am able to control it and realize it when it becomes a problem. The key to coping with anxiety (and what you describe is really anxiety) is to realize that it IS in your control to switch your mind out of the worry mode.

I have, since I was an adult, been able to consciously stop the worrying when I realized that it was becoming obsessive or a problem or out of scale to the reality of the risk. But some people are not able to make that switch without outside help like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) with a therapist and/or medication.

Anxiety can be truly debilitating. People who don't suffer from it have no idea how it can take over your life and deprive you of a lot of joy. I was able to just read books and work my way through things, but if your anxiety is more severe, I would really urge you to seek help.

I was like Beth until just after I got married. Then something switched on (or off) in my brain and I started really struggling, on and off, with anxiety....which has led to panic attacks. Much as Beth said, unless you have the ability to switch that worry off (and it sounds like you don't right now), then you need some help. It is debilitating to be obssessed with worry.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast