Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Paint: flat based vs. satin. What do you like?

We have (another) new house and I am so ready to paint! I have had flat based in our previous house the builder put on, it got so dirty from having toddlers, kwim? When I tried to clean it, it looked awful. I repainted most of the house with satin based paint.

I have always preferred satin based paint. I don't even like the word 'eggshell'.

The between satin and semi-gloss of the trim in this house has me thinking. Shermin-Williams told me they have a new flat based that cleans up fine with a magic eraser, the eraser doesn't take part of the paint off. BTDT.

I am thinking about how flat hides more and looks so much smoother, no roller or brush marks. I am fairly anal about painting and the end result, so if its not completely smooth, I will sand spots down and repaint. I make so much more work for myself, arg!

Has anyone used *improved* flat based lately and is it good? I wanted to ask because its a bit less expensive that satin and that would help alot with me wanting to re-paint every room.

Or should I stick with satin because it's what I'm used to and like?

Thanks for any input!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hate flat. Looks dull and I just don't like it. Ugh, and the feel of it. We've been doing satin for a long time but the last 2 rooms I decided to do eggshell and I like them even more! Have you ever tried using behind the toilet paint rollers? That's what we use for our whole walls now and the results are much better wrt roller marks than big rollers, ime.

Beth

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Never tried the new flat paint you're talking about, but I hate flat paint. I always use eggshell. Even better than satin.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Not a fan of flat. Would use satin or eggshell.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I much prefer the look of flat paint, its not so shiny. Funny how people have different feelings about these things. I used a BM flat paint in DD's room that was supposedly easy clean up and I haven't been thrilled with it. I did use a very light yellow which shows dirt even more. I retouch the room about once a year to cover the scuffs etc. So even thought I prefer the look of flat paint I have used egg shell in several rooms because it that much easier to clean up.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

I think that the type of paint is supposed to be dependent on the moisture level in the room. You might want to check this out: http://interiordec.about.com/od/inte...aintfinish.htm
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I prefer flat paint. I don't like seeing brushstrokes, and I think flat paint blends into the wall more. In bathrooms and kitchens, though, I like satin or gloss.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I only use flat for older walls in not-great condition. Which we had a lot of in our last 150+ year old house. It hides imperfections well.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I love the look of flat but we have always painted with satin. Flat just gets too messed up with little kids.

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't like the looks of eggshell or satin paint. I just did my entire house in BM's new paint called Aura. I did it in Matte and the bathrooms in Aura Bath and Spa. Love it.The paint is scrub-able and you can retouch it without it showing.If you really like the look of satin go for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast