Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Homeschoolers: What do you do in the summer?

What kind of things are you working on? How long do you spend each morning? Do you have a curriculum or an idea of where you're going with different subjects?

I have DS1 working on math, reading, and things like map-making this summer, but (except for math) I have no idea where I'm going.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, not all that much. He has a book of word problems for Math, piano lessons, front loading some of his Bear requirements for cub scouts and I have him pick out at least three quality books per trip to the library or bookstore...he can get as many of the series easy chapter books as he wants, but he needs to also pick a few longer, harder books too. He loves to read them, so it is not a big deal. We also have a few trips planned:

Northern Idaho to camp and explore for 5 days, plus stop for a day or two at a small theme park.
    Day hikes near Mt. Rainier and some closer to Seattle as well.
    A weekend near Mt. St. Helens
    A few days in the north Cascades
    Portland for nearly a week in August

And we have some in city day camps planned.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

My 3rd grader will continue to drill her times tables and read a lot. My 7th grader will be doing some math review stuff w/Math Mammoth and my kindergartener will keep working on TOPGTTR. Together we're going to do some geography study and possibly some other unit study type stuff that we don't do during the school year.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are continuing our math but not starting the next level up in Sinapore for a few weeks. Right now we're just reviewing and practicing what he's already learned. I try to do more math play than we typically do (and we usually do a good bit). I just bought DS1 a few fun "living math" type books like The Number Devil http://www.amazon.com/Number-Devil-M.../dp/0805062998 and Fractals, Googols and other Mathematical Tales http://www.amazon.com/Fractals-Googo...8586445&sr=1-1

I keep feeding DS1 new books and we are doing some new read alouds. We just bought Story of the World volume 2 (he reads on his own and listens to the CDs during quiet time; I also do this as a read aloud) and I got him some leisure reading that goes with it like this: http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Diary-J...8586583&sr=1-1

I'm hoping to spend some more time on art appreciation/history. We typically participate in a co-op during the summer run by young woman finishing up her degree in Art Education but it looks like it isn't happening this year

I also picked up some new logic and analogy type books at DS1's request. We like the stuff from Prufrock Press.

Kids are doing swim lessons.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

So, where do you start with Singapore?

DS1 is doing addition and subtraction already. Should I start him off at grade 1?
    -Ivy

nak-
    they have a placement test available online.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

I would look at the test to get a better idea for placement (even if you don't want to give it to him, it might give you a better idea of what level would fit his skills best)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Thank you! thank you!
    -Ivy

No problem!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

So, does Singapore Math have coupons? Where do you buy?
    -Ivy

It is quite affordable. IME, you don't need the textbook. We usually do fine w/ the workbook. I don't really buy the teacher's manuals or anything either as it is pretty easy to illustrate the concepts with manipulatives and so forth. I don't feel I need to be lead through that.

I think it runs about 8.50 for each level (2 "semesters" to the year. So first grade has a 1A book and a 1B book).

I usually buy through Rainbow Resource, which is an enormous HSing resource catalog.

Before ordering everything you may want to just order the workbook and see if you feel you can flesh it out on your own from there. I bought the text and workbook a few times and found it totally unnecessary.

eta: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodl...&category=2128

There is a "standards" edition and a "U.S." edition for each level right now.

Ugggh...edited again to fix typos. Sorry!
    Last edited by brittone2; 06-20-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast