Roni is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Laptop screen cracked

Ugh. We got a laptop last August, but we really haven't used it. The baby was born in September, & we just never got around to using it. I pulled it out the other day, & somehow the screen was cracked. (I'm assuming one of us stepped on it.) It will cost $425 to fix it. That's seems like a high percentage of the total cost. WWYD? I don't really see a way around it, but it seems like such a waste of money for something that may not have been the best purchase in the first place.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you need the computer? if you don't need it i wouldnt' get it fixed. the life of a computer is so small now that i would wait until you really needed one and use the money toward that.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

I don't know how nice your laptop was but for $425 that could almost buy you a new one.

Do you have an old monitor lying around? Do you need to use it as a laptop? You should be able to connect a monitor to it and use it as a desktop computer.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is it still under warranty?
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not have it repaired for that cost. When you need one, I would buy another new.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am typing on my cracked laptop now (which hopefully explains my spike in typos since I cannot proof very well). I have been delaying on getting it fixed, figuring that it would be a painful customer service issue. In our case, my DH simply picked it up from the floor to put it on the bed with the screen open. I purchased it from Costco, so I am hoping their customer service may come through for me (they provide a 2nd year warranty for electronics including computers). Your post prompted me to make the call - I am on hold with them now.

Melbel--how did you make out with your issue? The person I talked to at Best Buy suggested that I talk to Toshiba--she was hopeful for me. But, they said that it wasn't covered. This just kills me. Our desktop computer isn't doing well, so that's a thought, to use the monitor from that, if that's possible.

Part of my rush to buy it in the first place was to have it in the hospital with me, but we didn't do that. It would be nice to have a laptop, but because of the baby, my lifestyle is such that times when I would be using the laptop, I'm actually caring for the baby. So, I guess it's not really a NEED right now--but the money we spent on it is upsetting me. I'm just so upset that this happened.

Have you considered replacing it yourself? The Internet is a wonderful place. I'm sure you can find a replacement screen and instructions on how to replace it. Otherwise, I'd hook up a monitor to it and use it as a dedicated desktop.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

that happened to me once -- a new screen from the manf was about 300. i went to a local computer repair shop and they had an "extra" screen and i got it for $100. however if i were going to get a new one anyway, i'd at least try what penny's papa suggests!

Oh, wow, great ideas. That would be awesome. I am married to Mr. Fix-it (although he's not as comfortable with computers as he is with everything else.) I've been thinking there has to be a less expensive way to fix it. I will look into finding a replacement screen on-line.

Thank you!