Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I do the Continental style in terms of the way I hold, but use the fork in the right and knife in the left. I suppose the hybrid comes from living in Europe when I was in first grade, which I guess was when I started using a knife.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My kids haven't adopted a specific "style" yet (DH uses continental, I do not). Both were introduced to using a knife before age 3. They sometimes lost their knife privileges, or needed reminders, but overall they were fine with using it from early on.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by secchick View Post
    I do the Continental style in terms of the way I hold, but use the fork in the right and knife in the left. I suppose the hybrid comes from living in Europe when I was in first grade, which I guess was when I started using a knife.
    I do the exact same thing. I started eating that way when I was studying overseas and I didn't want to look like an American Oaf.

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For those of you who eat with the fork in the left hand, do you place your right hand in your lap after using the knife? I was taught to keep your non-eating hand/arm in your lap.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    For those of you who eat with the fork in the left hand, do you place your right hand in your lap after using the knife? I was taught to keep your non-eating hand/arm in your lap.
    Normally, you only cut off one piece at a time so it really isn't a non-eating hand. So, instead of "cut cut cut eat eat eat"' it is more of a "cut eat cut eat cut eat".
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think I introduced the knife when DD1 was 3, but closer to 4 than 3.

I hold my knife with my right hand to cut, and will hold my fork in my left hand to hold a piece of meat or bread in place while cutting, but will always eat with my right hand.

My sister eats true Continental style, but that's because she's ambidexterous, but really should be left handed (but no one in our family was left handed so my mom just assumed she'd be right handed so taught her stuff that way; it wasn't until she tried to learn cursive, started dribbling a basketball, and eating with her left hand that they figured she was probably left handed).
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-07-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I cannot eat Continental style for the life of me. It's American style or bare hands!
    Me neither...although I've been trying to teach myself off and on since taking a "Miss Manners" class in college where they taught you how to behave during a business meal or interview. I'm glad I took it, too.

I also tried to eat continental style when we went to Greece last year...with some success.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    I don't care which way the kids eat because I think it is more of a regional style thing than a manners thing..
    I really didn't know that it had anything to do with manners. When I started eating in the continental manner, I realized I can pick up my food more efficiently! I find I'm not chasing peas or rice all over my plate in an effort to pick them up. I can just scoop them onto my fork with my knife. Also, I find it MUCH easier to eat a leafy salad in the continental style rather than the American way of trying to stab everything onto my fork.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    That's the American style. With the continental style, you are constantly using your knife, so you never set it down and therefore never put your hand/arm in your lap. You are either cutting or pushing food onto the fork with the knife.

As a funny aside, my host family (and I heard this from other friends in Europe) said that they always wondered what people were doing with their hand that was in their lap!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 07-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2