Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, there is a difference in quality between the cheaper Barbies and the more expensive ones. I personally hate the ones with the hinged joints, they weird me out.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't recall having many Barbies...but I had Jem and she was really cool...with light up earrings. Though she did have crazy big feet. I was happy that she wasn't as busty as Barbie, since I knew I would be flat chested.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post
    Two were the $5 Barbies, one was more expensive (around $8 marked down from around $12) and I also bought one of the "Barbie Basics" collectible dolls for myself (for $19.95). All had the same hard molded plastic bodies. None bent at the knee.
    That is interesting. My daughter's barbie bends at the knees. I don't think it was an expensive one either.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD was given a bunch of naked barbies. To clothe them (just for my own sanity) I found tons of selection for new gowns on eBay. Turns out it is cheaper to have frocks shipped directly to me from Hong Kong than to buy from a store.

They toys themselves are definitely cheaper than the 70s/80s versions, like most toys. I am particularly scornful of the modern day Barbie head (the one that's just a head with hair you style. ) But then again , adjusted for inflation, I think most toys cost markedly less than they did 25-30 years ago.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I think it is amazing that you can still buy a $5 Barbie. That's a lot of play value for $5.

I went looking for a playline Asian Barbie at Christmas and couldn't find one. I guess Kira was discontinued some time in the last 8 years or so since I stopped buying playline for my own collection.

the Barbies that swap heads freak me out. I try not to look at them when I peruse the Barbie aisle.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I had a grow up Barbie, she had a flat mushy chest and you wound her arm in a circle and she grew boobs....my mom wondered why I was walking around circling my arms all the time..

I want the boob growing Barbie. THAT is hilarious.

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There was an amazingly funny thread about this dilema last year that is worth revisiting: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...ie+Loves+Woody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2