Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mirena IUD- Good Idea or Bad?

So my doctor is recommending that I get a Mirena IUD. I don't want any more kids at this point in my life, so theoretically this sounds great.

I read many horror stories online, however, my doctor is really for it.

Just wanted to get options here.

Do you have it? Are you happy with it? Would you recommend it?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't chose Mirena. I don't really trust the hormones, to be honest. Plus, even though getting a period is annoying,. I like the reassurance that all is working right and that I am not pg. (Mirena can cause really light or non existent pds). The mood swings people have reported on here have been a big turn off too.

I chose copper because it lasts longer than Mirena and no hormones. Heavier periods the first few cycles then back to my normal. I'm really happy with it.

Beth

I thought the copper one makes your periods heavy all the time. Is it just for a few months?

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have Mirena. Its been 3 years now. I had spotting alot for about 6 months, and now I very rarely have it. Maybe 2x a year? And not enough to use anything. Havent noticed mood swings.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I went with the Mirena over the copper because I already have very bad cramps and the copper can make them worse. With the Mirena my periods are practically non-existent and I'm quite happy with that. I'm actually on my second one. I had one between DD1 and DD2 and then again after DD2 was born. I love it, so much so that I might go with another rather than a more permanent method.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by EQ_Bo_07 View Post
    I thought the copper one makes your periods heavy all the time. Is it just for a few months?
    That's what they always say- copper= heavy periods and bad cramps. But, it has not been my experience at all. With my first Paragard IUD I had some cramps and heavier periods for the 1st few months then normal. With my 2nd Paragard IUD I never even had that. I think they get a bad rap. I know some people do have those experiences but I don't know what %.

Beth

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you don't want any more children, I'd say paraguard would be nice , since there are no hormones.

That said, I was on Mirena between ODS and the twins and was fine on it. I suffer from very bad periods and I had none on Mirena.

now that the twins are here, I know I really want to try to go hormone-free in terms on BC. I'm not ready to decide just yet.
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

Quote Originally Posted by EQ_Bo_07 View Post
    I had heavier than normal periods for maybe 2-3 months. Now I'm back to a normal cycle. The NP who did the insertion said most women will have heavier but not longer periods for the first few months and that was certainly my experience. The thing about both hormones and copper IUDs is that you don't know how your body will react until you try it (and give it a few months.) There are a percentage of women who do poorly with either. I personally knew that I didn't like how my body reacted to the hormones in BC pills so even though the mirena is a lower dose I wasn't interested in the continuous trickle of hormones. I'm happy with my choice but I also approached it from a "nothing has to be permanent" perspective. My insurance covered the cost and that was going to be true whether I kept it for 6 months or 10 years.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I loved my mirena - just had it taken out after 5 years. remember, there are horror stories online for both the copper and mirena. I am going to TTC starting next month, so will see how that goes.

I had Mirena and had an uncontrollable urge to eat for the whole year I had it and then had it taken out because I gained 15 lbs. despite running 5 miles a day 6 days a week. I don't consider myself vain but that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast