anonomom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Are you supposed to tip house cleaners?

I'm having my house cleaned for the first time, and it occurs to me belatedly that I have no idea whether or how much to tip the cleaners. There are three of them, and the cleaning itself costs $100. Anyone know what to do?
    DD1 -- 12/05 DD2 -- 2/09 DS -- 8/11

I don't tip them on a week to week basis, but I do give them a cash tip for Christmas.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

sunnyside is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I pay by the hour and round up. Sometimes I pay a little extra if I needed something extra done. I used to pay per housecleaning session when I had someone every two weeks. I knew about how long it should take and paid per session, but tipped for a job well done.
    Mama to one sweet girlie - Summer 2010 expecting a new cutie this Spring

No, but if they clean regularly you should give a Christmas bonus about equal to the price of a cleaning.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

I don't tip during the year but do give a cash bonus around the holidays.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I don't tip them on a week to week basis, but I do give them a cash tip for Christmas.
    I use a 1 man show, not a service and I give him a holiday bonus equal to an extra cleaning payment in December.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys one little and one not so little.

"No American president has ever supported a major expansion of civil rights that has not ultimately been adopted by the American people - and I have no doubt that this will be no exception. The march of freedom that has sustained our country since the Revolution of 1776 continues, and no matter what setbacks may occur in a given state, freedom will triumph over fear and equality will prevail over exclusion." -Michael Bloomberg

Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

wellyes is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Christmas bonus is equal to a full cleaning or maybe a bit more.
    DD - 6
    DS - 4

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks OP, I had the same question. Have a new company coming tomorrow to clean for us....can't wait. (DH took on cleaning responsibility and his consistency is just not doing it for me.)

The company I am using is an employee-owned natural home cleaning co. that provides good benefits to its all-women workforce. I believe I read that its not expected to tip because they are invested in the company's profits. But I'm not sure. Guess I will NOT tip and then be generous if we still have them around for the holidays. (So hope we do, having a successful cleaning situation is like a fantasy for me)
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011